Starling in flight

Weepete,
Wildlife / bird photography takes patience. Put in the time and you will get your house martin shots. You have the skill, just couple that with patience and some luck and you will capture some great images.

Cheers,
Mike

Cracking Sharp Shot and a great sky too.

Thanks DarkShadow, I must admit there is a little of the sky that's been cloned in the sake of composition. I do like to think it's pretty impercepatable ;)

wow awesome shot in every way... wow...... so beautiful

Thanks Photo Lady. Glad you liked it!

Weepete,
Wildlife / bird photography takes patience. Put in the time and you will get your house martin shots. You have the skill, just couple that with patience and some luck and you will capture some great images.

Cheers,
Mike

Cheers Mike, I know you get it. The hunting thing is the same for me, though I'm more fishing orientated. Waiting, watching the natural behaviour is key. Thankfully I can sit focused on nature, or on rod tips for hours. It's a time where I can focus with tunell like vision on nothing else around me but nature. Like when I go fishing, you need to feel the sea in your soul.

Cheers Mike, I know you get it. The hunting thing is the same for me, though I'm more fishing orientated. Waiting, watching the natural behaviour is key. Thankfully I can sit focused on nature, or on rod tips for hours. It's a time where I can focus with tunell like vision on nothing else around me but nature. Like when I go fishing, you need to feel the sea in your soul.

Aye Mate,
I do indeed "get it". Hunting, fishing, sporting dogs, the outdoors, and natural resources conservation are a way of life for me. I very much understand your point of view.

Cheers Mate,
Mike ☘️

Great shooting!

Nice and sharp! It is neat how the light illuminates the wing feathers.

Thanks Lonnie, backlighting on birds can work really well, though it can be difficult to hold the exposure. I manually set it here using the shadows on my roof gutter as a reference point. Also you may be interested to note that this was taken at 300mm, with the bird 15-20ft away.

Nice and sharp! It is neat how the light illuminates the wing feathers.

Thanks Lonnie, backlighting on birds can work really well, though it can be difficult to hold the exposure. I manually set it here using the shadows on my roof gutter as a reference point. Also you may be interested to note that this was taken at 300mm, with the bird 15-20ft away.

Sounds like you were well prepared for the shot. Would make a nice picture on the wall anywhere.

Got some starlings nesting on the roof, so I sat out on Sunday with my 150-600mm and tried to get some shots. They were very fast, so I had to resort to pre-focusing and trying to predict their flight path which was challenging! About 4 hours spent out and I got one single shot that's good enough to show. I'd not really been able to put my 5DmkIV to the test with birds since I bought it so it was good to give it a challengeand get back into the habit of using my long lens.

This is as one of the pair returned to the nest with a beak full of hawthorne flies, shot almost directly overhead.

Starling in Flight 1 by wee_pete, on Flickr

Great photo! Nominated POTM

Most reactions

Back