Theoretically best setup for a wide-angle close up?

mishkind

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,
I'm looking for the ideal lens+sensor combination in order to take a picture where:

1) the subject is very close to the lens ie. only 2cm away from the lens
2) the angle of view is quite high. ie. I want to capture a 12" diameter circle at 2cm away.
3) ideally the depth of field would be small as well.

I've been going through all the tutorials for the past few days but can't seem to figure out the best setup.
From what I gather these things will help:
1) a larger sensor will give me a higher angle of view
2) a smaller f will give me a smaller depth of field
3) a smaller f will also give me a higher angle of view, i think?

Any insight would be much appreciated.
thanks

What do you mean by high angle of view?

Theoretically?
Practically.The only way you will accomplish this is with a Point and shoot with a ultra wide angle lens 2-5mm There are some that have a minimum focus distance of 1cm.
While aperture would have an effect on DOF, it will have a negligible effect because of the extreme of the subject to distance. You would be looking at a range of DOF from .06cm to.22cm throughout the range of Aperture from f/4 to f/16 so essentially your point of focus would be your DOF

And to Megan,I belive they mean Wide angle of view not "High"

You could take several shots up, down and across and then combine them like you would a panoramic...

Hi,
I'm looking for the ideal lens+sensor combination in order to take a picture where:

1) the subject is very close to the lens ie. only 2cm away from the lens
2) the angle of view is quite high. ie. I want to capture a 12" diameter circle at 2cm away.
3) ideally the depth of field would be small as well.

With some math you may calculate the angle of view you need, and then with this calculator you may try to find the focal length you need, depending on sensor:
Angle of View Calculator
However, such a large area, so close, means something around 180°, not really easy to obtain (except with fisheye, or with the mosaic described by edsport ). And short focal lengths have more DoF....
Anyway, to obtain such small focus distance, on a dSLR you have to use extension rings.

1) a larger sensor will give me a higher angle of view
2) a smaller f will give me a smaller depth of field
3) a smaller f will also give me a higher angle of view, i think?

yes, yes, no. Focal length determines angle of view.

Sounds like you are looking for fish eye, but I am not sure what's the typical close-focus distance of fish eyes.

My 20mm AF-D lens focuses from 8cm on. It's pretty close, good enough for me to take some really extreme angled shots.

Thanks to everyone. Awesome responses.

@Meagen, i meant a wide angle of view.
@edsport, unless i can find an ultra-wide lens, I think I will have to do a mosaic
@Rephargotohp, As I want a rectilinear image I think the ultra wide is the way to go. Now to find some 2-5mm lenses... (ps. was Rehpargotohp taken?)
@enzodm, great calculator reference. I will research extension rings.

Sadly, this isn't going to be to take some stunning photograph. What I'm looking to build is a cell phone camera with the ability to take a close up picture of a largish (30cm) object.
If anyone knows of good lens/camera component manufacturers for a DIY project, can you let me know?

thanks again

Now to find some 2-5mm lenses... (ps. was Rehpargotohp taken?)

not only... 2-5mm if on a somewhat large sensor. A typical point&shoot zoom starts from 5mm, but due to the crop factor (sensor may be 6.17 x 4.55 mm), it acts like a 28mm in terms of angle of view. Extension rings serve only to put the lens more distant from sensor, to focus closer. And if you have a large sensor, also lens should be somewhat large, not easily put on a cell phone. Good luck ;) .

Most reactions

New Topics

Back