There is so much to learn with photoshop!

eric-holmes

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I did this on accident today. I accidentally applied a different blend mode on the brightness/contrast level. It was switched from "normal" to "soft light". I was quite surprised at the difference it made.

Which version do you you prefer?

Left is normal, right is soft light.

Untitled2-1.jpg

on this monitor (work) it's difficult to see a major difference but it does appear that the wood grain is more deep and contrasty on the right which in this case draws attention away from the subject ever so slightly.

The soft light blending mode works really well for adding color fill layers.

I prefer the wood in the left but I like how it made his shirt look richer in the right one.

Well it may not work for this specific image, I just meant test it out at some point. It gives you a very muted color palet which may or may not work for what you are going for with a specific image.

I prefer the second one, and yes photoshop seems overwhelming at times.

Im too lazy to edit everything on photoshop. I try my best to do my edits not pass LR3.

To my eye (on a crappy monitor at work), the right looks sharpened more than anything else. Otherwise, I see little variation.

People use Photoshop in ways the designers never intended, and in ways the designers never envisioned as even being possible.

I personally like #2 more, but they're a bit overprocessed for my tastes. To each their own :)

I work in the graphic arts field and have been using photoshop daily for over 11 years. I'm still learning stuff all the time.

I personally like #2 more, but they're a bit overprocessed for my tastes. To each their own :)

I know it's overprocessed, but it's the style the mom wanted. In fact, she just bought a 16x20 for her living room. Lol, give them what they want.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back