There is Something Seriously Wrong With My Camera!

chantal7

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I use a Canon Rebel Xti. I get Error 99. I searched it online and found this:
http://www.richardsnotes.org/archives/2005/04/29/50mm-lens-contact-points/
, and read all about "my lens contacts could be dirty" But I don't think that's it when I get pictures like these:

If you see the top of the photo, you see blue sky, with a normal color. The rest of the photo is over-exposed. Same with the following two photos.

IMG_4580.jpg

IMG_4573.jpg

IMG_4577.jpg

Before these pictures, all I had to do was remove my battery / memory card, and it would work for a few hundred pictures. Then I'd get another error 99. Ok, so I removed my battery and memory card, and it worked. This time it won't budge. I change lenses, remove everything I can, put it back, and nothing. I took it back to the place where I bought it and they have to send my camera away. And it turns out, I can't take pictures for someone's graduation tomorrow because my damn camera isn't working! :soapbox:

Has ANYONE else had this issue? This is very frustrating :\

The Err 99 message is a general use error message given when the cameras diognostic can't figure out the issue.

Judging from the images it looks loke the mirror and shutter are getting jammed. it looks like the shutter is staying open too long (hence the overexposure) but the top part it looks like the sensor is partally obscured by the mirror (hence the exposure variation).

Check the mirror box and make sure there is nothing in there to get jammed on. That is all I can really say for now

The Err 99 message is a general use error message given when the cameras diognostic can't figure out the issue.

Judging from the images it looks loke the mirror and shutter are getting jammed. it looks like the shutter is staying open too long (hence the overexposure) but the top part it looks like the sensor is partally obscured by the mirror (hence the exposure variation).

Check the mirror box and make sure there is nothing in there to get jammed on. That is all I can really say for now

I knew it was something to do with the shutter. I don't really understand how it works, or what it's supposed to look like, so I can't tell if there is something there to get jammed. I moved the mirror with my finger(I used a cloth over my finger in case it's not a good idea to touch that part of the camera.), and it seemed normal, it made a click sound, but then again, I don't know if that's normal or screwed up.

I knew it was something to do with the shutter. I don't really understand how it works, or what it's supposed to look like, so I can't tell if there is something there to get jammed. I moved the mirror with my finger(I used a cloth over my finger in case it's not a good idea to touch that part of the camera.), and it seemed normal, it made a click sound, but then again, I don't know if that's normal or screwed up.

None of mine make any sound when I move them manually But, all of my SLR's are twenty/thirty years old, so if that is abnormal you would have to have some one with an XTi tell us one way or another.

None of mine make any sound when I move them manually But, all of my SLR's are twenty/thirty years old, so if that is abnormal you would have to have some one with an XTi tell us one way or another.

Yeah, you're right. I'm just going to take it down to the place I got it from and have them send it away. It's weird because I kinda shook my camera a little bit (probably another "not a good idea" of mine) and now it's working again... allowing me to take photos. This is really strange :\

I get this error with one of my lenses, and I found that it doesn't click in place properly when I install it. After putting it on my camera and turning it clockwise to install, I have to turn it counter-clockwise slightly and then it clicks right. If I don't do that I get the error 99. I'm sure your's is more along the lines of what Battou is saying though.

I get this error with one of my lenses, and I found that it doesn't click in place properly when I install it. After putting it on my camera and turning it clockwise to install, I have to turn it counter-clockwise slightly and then it clicks right. If I don't do that I get the error 99. I'm sure your's is more along the lines of what Battou is saying though.

Hmm, yeah I actually thought about doing that with my lens. With so many features the more goes wrong, hey? Thanks for the input it helps :)

well, ignoring all which was said... the images look like a typical shutter problem ...

Most reactions

Back