Thin blue-ish outline around objects.. what is it? how to fix?

chrisblau

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey all - I've just gotten into some more serious photography. I'm using a Canon XSi and an 18-200mm lens by Tamron (no IS, couldnt afford it).

My problem is when I shoot (often outdoor shots) there is a thin blueish glow/outline around objects, often when the object is darker than the background.

What is it? Is it a symptom of a bad lens? Is there an easy way to take it out in post?

thanks much!

Chris

Post some examples, it'll be easier for us to see what you're talking about and offer help.

Sounds exactly like chromatic aberration, and the lens you are using is prone to it. Avoid high-contrast situations, as CA is generated when an edge is extremely highly contrasting. CA can be removed in post, but it will always result in a loss of sharpness around these edges.

It is a lens quality issue.

I think it's more commonly known as Purple-Fringing and it can be mitigated in post processing with Photoshop.

Google to find many, many tutorials out there about fixing it.

Thank you all so much for the quick replies!

Yes - I do think its a CA problem. I did a quick search and found a short how to video about removing it, real straight forward stuff (especially if you're shooting in RAW). is the link.

I'm a college kid so I didn't have a ton of money to spend on a lens and I wanted a lens that would give me a lot of possibilities (hence the 18-200). I'm thinking of getting a straight 50mm lens or something like that for indoor/museum use.. any suggestions? Minimum CA stuff, hopefully, and IS would be nice.. for a Canon body.

Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in college too and know all too well about the money issues! I actually picked up a 50mm f1.8 for very cheap. I love it!

A 50mm prime doesn't really need IS. All of the ones in Canon's current line-up are very fast, an even on a crop body it's not a very long focal length to deal with.

It is a lens quality issue.

I think it's more commonly known as Purple-Fringing and it can be mitigated in post processing with Photoshop.

Google to find many, many tutorials out there about fixing it.

Everyone I know commonly refers to it by CA, it's actual name.

Actually, purple fringing, while sometimes caused for the same reasons as CA, can also be caused by lens flare, and a score of other reasons. Purple fringing and CA are subtly different.

Most reactions

Back