Things are different around the world.... really

I saw strange stuff in Austria, for example:
Potato fritters and a roll (nothing to add)
Pizza with different stuff and fries
plus - vinegar is in use like water (btw. I hate vinegar) there is no salad without it, no sauce without it, just nothing eeeeehh.

now get that, a typical austrian "salad":
cold sausages (in stripes or small pieces)
cut onion
pepper
and loooootttss of vinegar.

buon appetit :D

that kind of sausage:

bild2.gif
:mrgreen:

And here I though a box of wine was strange. Bagged milk? Oh, well.

Here in the Southern US iced tea is sweet also. Anything else we consider just plain wrong!

Its not another country but a lot of us in the southern US find it strange that the Carolinas but vinegar in their BBQ sauce...What is with that? They take a perfectly good thing and twist it into an abomination!

Oh, and I've heard that a lot of the northern US states don't put Mayo on their hamburgers. We do down here but apparently it can be a source of problems for northern US'ers in Canada.

Rob said:
The food in Wales...

I found (correct me if im wrong...) that while visiting wales and england I had a piece of apple pie, pretty good pie. but the wipped topping on it was nothing like here in the US. It actually sucked the flavor of the pie out of my mouth and replaced it with like and aftertast flavor, and there was still food in my mouth... what the heck. it baffeled me so much i ate half of the pie... i couldnt deal with it on the second half...
also they just set there meat out on a shelf in stores... not refrigorated... we didnt eat much meat there... ohh and why somany kinds of beans???

df3photo said:
I found (correct me if im wrong...) that while visiting wales and england I had a piece of apple pie, pretty good pie. but the wipped topping on it was nothing like here in the US. It actually sucked the flavor of the pie out of my mouth and replaced it with like and aftertast flavor, and there was still food in my mouth... what the heck. it baffeled me so much i ate half of the pie... i couldnt deal with it on the second half...

Sounds like squirty cream! That has a Butane like after taste!:confused:

Apple pie is best with either vanilla ice cream or real whipped double cream! Mmmmmmm!

I remember being surprised that soda is served warm in Europe.

On the iced tea escapade, I CANNOT TOLERATE sweetened tea. Even my hot tea I HAVE to have unsweetened. If I want something hot and sweet I drink hot chocolate or a caramel machiatto. But tea for me is a mildly flavored, unsweetened drink. And green is the best!

Blimey, some weird experiences being had in Wales... doesn't seem how I remember it from last week :confused:

I can't say I often see meat lying around unrefrigerated, certainly not 'on shelves' - our food hygiene standards are pretty much as high as anyone else's (won't say too much, though, E. coli outbreak just happened in a number of schools in South Wales - it made the headlines for the best part of a fortnight so it's not the norm!)...

Totally agree about squirty cream though, it tastes of tin. No idea why people serve that with real food :-|

Oh, yeah. And let's not forget how the British say "Petrol, Bonnet, Boot, and Garage" when they mean to say "Gas, Hood, Trunk, and Gas Station" Silly British :greenpbl:

Well.. upon landing in a quaint airport in Peru (about 40-50 passengers?), the locals burst out cheering and clapping. I wasn't aware until then that the successful landing rate was so low! ;)

Oh.. and the huge serving sizes of food in the US!

Forgot to add.. Vernors in Ontario and the North-eastern states is amazing

(Funny how people find bagged milk humourous! haha)

We recently moved to South Carolina and were introduced to the concept of boiled peanuts (haven't tried them) and fried oreo's (my husband said he'll never try them again).

Tammy said:
We recently moved to South Carolina and were introduced to the concept of boiled peanuts (haven't tried them) and fried oreo's (my husband said he'll never try them again).

Boiled peanuts are WONDERFUL!!! The greener the better. Just be SURE to be careful when opening them as they are generally eaten very hot!!!! The juice inside the shell can burn you if you aren't careful. Oh, and eat them in moderation until your tummy gets used to them...otherwise it could be a very painful next day.

Verbal said:
On the iced tea escapade, I CANNOT TOLERATE sweetened tea. Even my hot tea I HAVE to have unsweetened. If I want something hot and sweet I drink hot chocolate or a caramel machiatto. But tea for me is a mildly flavored, unsweetened drink. And green is the best!

See? He's up north (about as far north as you can get before getting to Canada).

:wink:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back