Things to photograph in Chicago?

footballfan993

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.tylerwarnecke.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I'm going to be going to Chicago next month, with my family and am looking for some things that are great for photographing. Of course, I'll get the Bean, possible the Sears (It will always be the Sears to me!) Tower. I'm not sure exactly where all we will be going, as I'm going with my parents, and my cousin that is visiting from Italy. I'm just curious of some things that I can photograph! Thanks!

So I'm going to be going to Chicago next month, with my family and am looking for some things that are great for photographing. Of course, I'll get the Bean, possible the Sears (It will always be the Sears to me!) Tower. I'm not sure exactly where all we will be going, as I'm going with my parents, and my cousin that is visiting from Italy. I'm just curious of some things that I can photograph! Thanks!
The L, train station, lots of interesting buildings, navy pier, streets, people, music, .... Tons of stuff. Go to Flickr and search Chicago photography, downtown Chicago, etc...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

From what I read, if you like to take photo with the Bean without a stranger in your photo, get there as early as possible in the morning.

From what I read, if you like to take photo with the Bean without a stranger in your photo, get there as early as possible in the morning.

but sometimes it's more interesting with the people 'distortion'

I recommend the Water Taxi on the Chicago River, if it still exists. I lived in the area from about 2005-2009 and took it once - probably the best opportunity to photograph the bridges over the river and the buildings alongside, if that's of interest to you.

Wow--so much stuff to shoot in Chicago. For an urban area, it is a photographer's paradise.

Let's see....Frank Lloyd Wright and his studio/house are there as well as the church that he did (the Unity Temple)...I highly recommend you make time for those. Very cool to shoot those spaces. House of Blues and architecture around the entire city, especially high-rises. The Ferris Wheel on the Navy Pier at night. Art Institute of Chicago--I had a blast shooting that space and the environs. The BP Bridge is cool. Chicago is a superb city for outdoor sculpture (like the Picasso at Daley Plaza, or the Agora). Millennium Park as a whole is cool not just the Bean, also the Shedd. If you're lucky, you'll still have some really cold weather so go shoot the Lake around Lakeshore Drive, especially up around Northwestern...I've managed to catch frozen waves there. In fact, that vantage (north shore suburb on the lake aimed south) will give you some beautiful silhouettes of the city. You want to shoot some food? Chicago is one of the few places you can get a real stuffed pizza (not deep dish--stuffed pizza makes deep dish look like pizza for someone a diet). The Magnificent Mile at night. Depending on when you're there you can go to Cubs game at Wrigley and get some lovely photos there (shoot with high grain and/or sepia and you'll get an old-time look to the shots). If you're there around St. Patrick's Day you'll have to shoot the green dye in the river.

Wow--so much stuff to shoot in Chicago. For an urban area, it is a photographer's paradise.

Let's see....Frank Lloyd Wright and his studio/house are there as well as the church that he did (the Unity Temple)...I highly recommend you make time for those. Very cool to shoot those spaces. House of Blues and architecture around the entire city, especially high-rises. The Ferris Wheel on the Navy Pier at night. Art Institute of Chicago--I had a blast shooting that space and the environs. The BP Bridge is cool. Chicago is a superb city for outdoor sculpture (like the Picasso at Daley Plaza, or the Agora). Millennium Park as a whole is cool not just the Bean, also the Shedd. If you're lucky, you'll still have some really cold weather so go shoot the Lake around Lakeshore Drive, especially up around Northwestern...I've managed to catch frozen waves there. In fact, that vantage (north shore suburb on the lake aimed south) will give you some beautiful silhouettes of the city. You want to shoot some food? Chicago is one of the few places you can get a real stuffed pizza (not deep dish--stuffed pizza makes deep dish look like pizza for someone a diet). The Magnificent Mile at night. Depending on when you're there you can go to Cubs game at Wrigley and get some lovely photos there (shoot with high grain and/or sepia and you'll get an old-time look to the shots). If you're there around St. Patrick's Day you'll have to shoot the green dye in the river.

Brings back a lot of memories. I lived in a penthouse on 8th and State St that is now a student housing building for Columbia College students. All those places you mentioned, I have been to. The sad part is I wasn't really into photography then and missed the opportunities. I remember hanging out at the House of Blues one afternoon and Ron Wood, Mick Jagger, and the drummer walked in and starting jamming. Pretty cool. Ron Wood was in town that week as he had a show for his oil paintings at one of the local art galleries.

"The Bean" is nothing special. It's just twisted metal which reflects; there are lots of clearer mirrors and such stuff all over the world. Oh, and it's pretty dirty!
I did like the cruise around the city. However, if shooting from top of Willis(Sears) be aware that the glass is dirty, both from shoes and hands. Thus, unless you can find an opening, like at the Empire State Building, to shoot without dirty glass fine.

Most reactions

Back