Thinking about a TC

JeffieLove

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
2 things,

1. What lens are you going to use this on? If it's on the Sigma 70-300 don't bother as using ANY TC on that lens will cause too much degradation in quality. If it's on one of your shorter lenses...then....Why?

2. While different brands and different levels within a brand do matter, just as important is the "length" of the TC. The longer or more multiplication it gives, the more loss in image quality. A good 1.4TC can show very minimal loss...something like the Kenko 1.4 pro 300 would be a good one and one I plan to buy for using on my Tamron 180mm. Some 1.7's can be used as well but you will start seeing some image quality loss. If your lens isn't really sharp to begin with, this will amplify those flaws. 2.0 is going to lose quite a bit and I honestly wouldn't bother.

wanted to use it for shooting the moon... and other stuff in the sky... still a bad idea?

wanted to use it for shooting the moon... and other stuff in the sky... still a bad idea?

Why don't you wait and see how well you can do with just the 70-300 first...then see where you're at. I wouldn't go more than a 1.4 personally and you'll need to do some research as to which TC's can work with the Sigma 70-300 as many won't work without hitting the rear element.

I'd agree with Nate - teleconverters are like a magnifying glass so they magnify the image (generally better than most editing programs can do currently) and any errors present on the lens itself. Even the 1.4TC which has the lightest amount of image degradation would be very noticable on the 70-300mm lens - even the APO edition. Get the lens and use it first and save the TCs for when/if you can get hold of better glass.

You will be sorely disapointed with any TC and a 70-300 from any manufacturer. Just not a good match up. 2nd even though Kenko does have some decent products that TC is at the bottom end of their product line. Even with a very good fast lens that TC will still degrade the picture quality.

I say just wait. The 300mm end of the lens comming will be closer to 480mm on your Canon. You will get some nice shots with that as it is. Do you have a good solid tripod? With a 300mm lens your going to want to have a solid mount to keep movements down when at 300mm to get the sharpest pictures. If you don't have one, I would take the $100 you have available and put it towards a good tripod and head.

Right now I just have a $25 tripod from walmart... I plan on getting a better one soon... i know I will at least have on available once I register for my photography class for the summer semester at school ;)

Some things to keep in mind about a TC before buying one. TC's were specifically designed for prime lenses, not zoom, and for lenses above 100mm. A good telecoverter can be good to have on hand if you understand them. This does not mean that a TC can not be used on a zoom lens, but it is not going to be the optimum use for one.

A teleconverter magnifies the view of the lens that it is attached to. It also magnifies every flaw that the lens has. A top of the line zoom lens, while very good is still not going to be as sharp as a top of the line prime lens. Canon's 100-400 L zoom is a nice piece of glass, but I have never seen anyone that has given up a 300mm f2.8L or 400mm f2.8L because they thought the 100-400 was sharper.

A telecoverter is in itself a lens. As such it will also have flaws. If you mount a consumer quality TC on a consumer quality piece of glass the majority of people are going to be disappointed with the results. Put a tc on a soft lens it only gets softer.

Canon's TC's are built to go on only a select group of their lenses. All L glass. Their TC's are also L glass quality. Because of this the image quality loss is less than the average image quality loss from a consumer TC on a consumer grade lens.

My suggestion would be before you spend the money on a TC go to a good photography shop with your camera body and the lenses that you plan on putting the TC on. Take some shots with the TC you are interested in on you body with your lenses and then go home and check them out. See if they image quality is suitable for you before you spend the money. Good luck .

Most reactions

Back