Thinking about buying the Nikon d7000 for my first dlsr

Could anyone tell me what i should be looking for when looking at used lenses cameras etc????? What are the warning signs what are good signs????
I should also mention I am a first aid attendent where I work and spend most of my day waiting for something to happen which most days thank god it doesnt I work at on of the most beautiful places and would love to take pics of all the ships and cranes etc with all my spare time! I have the vancouver mountains, sea, and canada place, amazing veiws of the city etc would love to be able to capture this as well!!!! I work mostly days but we get alot of grey rainy days around here!!!!

Well if you buy refurbished, there's nothing to look out for. The equipment is stripped down, cleaned, reconfigured, tested, evaluated, and repackaged and sold for a few hundred less.

Could you please tell me where I find refurbished cameras I am looking on Nikons site and I am not seeing it......Thanks again everyone!!!!!

Post #13 has a link straight to the D90.

U.S. Ground only I dont think the ship to Canada

Hi

I'm pretty much in the same situation. I'm looking for my firs DSLR and, to be honest, after about a month reading reviews/comparisons/opinions, I think the D7000 is the right camera if you have the money to buy it some proper glass. Because the D300s is not that much better and quite more expensive. And then you only have the fullframe cameras, and probably don't wanna start there if this is your first DSLR.

Please let me know if you find a good offer! Good luck! :mrgreen:

Regards,
LizardKing

Do it do it do it do it! D7000 is probably the best camera you can get for under 4000 dollars right now. Kick ass ISO performance, magnesium body(!!!), internal focus motor, 6 frames per second, 39 AF points. Menus are intimidating, dedicate controls are simple. The more I think about it, the more I feel like Nikon priced this camera wrong. It really makes me wonder why the prosumer D-x-hundred DX format cameras are priced so high.

Do it do it do it do it! D7000 is probably the best camera you can get for under 4000 dollars right now. Kick ass ISO performance, magnesium body(!!!), internal focus motor, 6 frames per second, 39 AF points. Menus are intimidating, dedicate controls are simple. The more I think about it, the more I feel like Nikon priced this camera wrong. It really makes me wonder why the prosumer D-x-hundred DX format cameras are priced so high.

It's a little hard to believe that somebody found a way to put so much bad info in only three lines of text.

You mention dedicated controls as a plus. I do agree with that statement. The part that we disagree on seems to be that you think the D7000 has all the dedicated controls necessary, that it's build quality is equal to better bodies, or that it's performance is equal to better bodies.

The statement that it's the best camera under $4000 is laughable.

magnesium body(!!!),
Oops!

The D7000 has magnesium-alloy metal top and back plates. The front and bottom of the D7000 chassis are plastic.

The prosumer and pro cameras have fully magnesium-alloy metal chassis.

Here is the D7000 plastic/metal chassis with a magnesium-alloy metal bodied MB-D11 vertical grip attached - D7000 chassis - Bing Images

Here is a prosumer grade D300/D300s magnesium-alloy metal chassis - D300 chassis - Bing Images

And here is more info about the benefits of a full metal chassis; Nikon | Imaging Products | Nikon D Technology THE POWER TO CHANGE YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY

Actually, I don't care anything about magnesium vs plastic. Heck, my remote control is made out of plastic and that thing has been dropped so many times it's ridiculous. Plastic has came a long way. One can even argue that because the plastic is a bit more flexible than the magnesium that it absorbs a potential impact better vs transfering it to the internals.

Regardless, there is a lot more to build quality than whether it's made out of plastic or magnesium.

The metal is not only more durable, it is better at dissipating heat and blocking electromagnetic interference.

I had a soccer ball rip a lens off a D90. The lens mount was still attached to the lens.The lens mount screws had been stripped from the plastic camera body.

Another TPF member, Pure, had the lens mount screws strip out of a D90 while the D90/lens was in a camera bag.

For the OP, a little internet searching revels Cameta Camera http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/niko...=Toj4aQoBAlkAAC-MRRYAAAAM&rests=1317599337670 is a Nikon authorized refurbished camera seller, and there is http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/niko...=Toj4aQoBAlkAAC-MRRYAAAAM&rests=1317599337670

Cameta also has an eBay store: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-D7000...020306?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item2eb7e95ed2

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I've dropped a Rebel XT underneath a waterfall and it still worked. So I also tend not give two craps about magnesium vs plastic. I was just mentioning the difference between the D7000 and its predecessors like the D90. And I do think that the D7000 is superior to the D300s. I rented one a couple of weeks ago because I had some AF trouble when photographing a fight so I'd though I'd try a more "pro" camera. The only thing I liked better was where the ISO button was placed on the D300s. I wish the D7000 was more like that. But I didn't notice anything significant about the AF system on the D300s.

And oh yeah, I forgot that the D700 was also under $4000. I haven't had too much experience with the D700 but yeah... it's got a nice viewfinder.

Here are a couple of equations for you.

Good equipment =/= fantastic photos, just like a $200 P&S =/= crappy photos.

Good equipment + the knowledge to use it = Fantastic photos.

$200 P&S + the knowledge to use it = Decent photos ( and in the hands of a great photographer, many times Fantastic Photos.)

Do I think the D7000 is a good beginner DSLR?

Absolutely. I have one, and love it. Knowing what I know now, I would have made it my first DSLR purchase.

Will it solve your problems? Probably not if you plan on setting it to auto and snapping away.

My suggestion... take a couple of classses. Most locales have classes available at the local photography stores or through community education programs for cheap as free.

if after taking those clases you feel that it is your equipment holding you back rather than your skill level, then look into replacing it.

As far as the kit lens for the D7000, mine lasted a week before I got tired of it and sold it. That doesn't mean it's junk, but I found a combination of lenses that were better for the same money.

YMMV

Will it solve your problems? Probably not if you plan on setting it to auto and snapping away.

It might actually. The D7000's auto mode takes better pictures than any P&S auto I've ever encountered. Are you getting the most out of your equipment with just a DSLR and auto mode? No. But is the quality of that auto mode picture gonna be better than a P&S's auto mode picture. Probably.

And I do think that the D7000 is superior to the D300s.
The D7000 is at the beginning of it's product cycle and is better than the D300s, in some ways. In some ways the D7000 still has entry-level features and functions that are less capable than what is offered in the D300s.

The D300s is at the end of it's product cycle. The D300s was just a slight upgragde of the D300 which was launched in 2007.

The recent 9.0 earthquake/tsunami in Japan has disrupted Nikon's new product release plans.

I'm willing to bet when the D400 is launched it will be better in most ways than the D7000. The D800 and D4 are also due.

Most reactions

Back