Thinking about doing the unthinkable-- Selling my D90 for a D700?

Should I wait for the D800 to be released? As the D700 price will come down I assume? Right now, they seem to be holding their value. I will kick myself if I go for a D700 now and see prices drop 6 months from now..
The electronic industry has been like this for decades. More than once I spent $3k for a computer years ago that isn't even useful for scrap metal these days. It didn't bother me much then, and it doesn't bother me much now. Yes, they may be slightly less expensive in 6 months but during that 6 months you will have had the benefit of being able to use what you wanted so just chalk it up as rent or something and move on. Life isn't always about doing what you should do. Sometimes it's just about doing what you want to do.

Is the 35mm F1.8 DX or FX? If it's FX, I'd rather keep it and sell the 90 F2.8 just to have a more balanced range. I don't know the quality of either lens, just commenting based on the focal length.

Yep, it is the DX one. And I can't consider selling the 90mm 2.8 as I do like my macro stuff and this lens is a beast for the price I got it for, but I will need to source a wider lens when I do go ahead with this move. A 24 1.4 OR 35 1.4 would be amazing, but sadly out of the question.

Should I wait for the D800 to be released? As the D700 price will come down I assume? Right now, they seem to be holding their value. I will kick myself if I go for a D700 now and see prices drop 6 months from now..
The electronic industry has been like this for decades. More than once I spent $3k for a computer years ago that isn't even useful for scrap metal these days. It didn't bother me much then, and it doesn't bother me much now. Yes, they may be slightly less expensive in 6 months but during that 6 months you will have had the benefit of being able to use what you wanted so just chalk it up as rent or something and move on. Life isn't always about doing what you should do. Sometimes it's just about doing what you want to do.

This is great advice, you guys really have got me seriously planning this now. I am not going to do it instantly as I know it would be silly to do this rashly, but I now am planning to do this sooner rather than later. It's going to be an expensive move but a GREAT move I feel. And I strongly get the feeling you are all correct, that once I go FX I will never look back again..

IQ, Shallow DOF, Perspective exactly as the lens was intended to give, low light capabilities are all winning factors for me.

I think the thing that sparked my interest off in FX even more than I already did, was something Derrel said recently, he said he would much rather a D3 using consumer glass than a d300 using the best glass. I always thought glass was the crucial be all and end all, it would seem a full frame sensor in SOME instances can provide you with more than simply using the best glass on a crop body can.

Thanks for all the words of inspiration, I was hoping you might talk me out of it as it would be kinder to my wallet! But Ah well thats life!! :lol:

The prices on digital cameras will ALWAYS be cheaper in 6 months..

Sadly not always, the D700 has sustained its price pretty well over the last couple of years. These top of the line FX cameras really do not lose a lot of value. That's why I was wondering whether the D700 might experience a more drastic price drop due to the release of new tech. But as pointed out by other posters, it is a question than cannot be answered and in a way it is a bit irrelevant if it means stopping yourself from having something you really want to have..

.... Thanks for all the words of inspiration, I was hoping you might talk me out of it as it would be kinder to my wallet! But Ah well thats life!! :lol:
I never said that I agreed with your choice, only that you need to do what you feel is right for you.:mrgreen:

Does that help?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back