Thinking about doing the unthinkable-- Selling my D90 for a D700?

D60-->D300S--->D700...it's like going from VW beetle (old one) to Chevy Pick-Up to Cadillac. THe D700 takes pictures all by itself :D

Seriously, I'm so happy with it I'd sleep with it ;)

Not really. I take it that Keith was not stretching his finances. That is a very pertinent comment.

So for another useless comment.... I went from a D80 and added a D300. Later on added a D700. Later on gave the D80 and a couple of lenses to my son. Still have the D300 and D700, but added an Olympus m43. Oh yeah, still have the Canon film camera too.

You'll have fun with the D700 Josh, but make sure you're taking care of business first.

Yes good point here Kundalini, it is going to be a financial stretch.

I'd like to thank everyone who has replied for the great feedback...:thumbup: I appreciate it!

Now I think I am going to do it..

But now the key question...

Should I wait for the D800 to be released? As the D700 price will come down I assume? Right now, they seem to be holding their value. I will kick myself if I go for a D700 now and see prices drop 6 months from now..

Never wait, just look for a low milage unit at a good price. Sub 2K and go for it. Crap, I spent premium on mine when there weren't any to be found anywhere. Worth every penny.

Should I wait for the D800 to be released? As the D700 price will come down I assume? Right now, they seem to be holding their value. I will kick myself if I go for a D700 now and see prices drop 6 months from now..
But that is the $64 question, isn't it? Wish in one hand and $hit in the other. Which one weighs more? You can never step away from buyers remorse when dealing with unknowns. Shooting full frame now with a camera that is a few years old or hold on to the hope that its replacement will satify your yearning for the latest and the greatest.

There has been a spate of threads lately about the D800. For the most part I have completely ignored most of them. You want to know why? I could give a phuque because my D700 does eveything I could ever want for a full frame. It's only a few years old and I expect it to give me many more years (and generations) of service. When it dies is when I'll start researching for a replacement, but I doubt I'll be impressed for a succesor for another five years or so. But hey, that's just me. My philosophy is to buy the best I can afford to do the thing that I want it to do and at the time that I want it done. After that... drive the wheels off the mutha, ride it hard and hang it up wet.

YMMV

Personally, I would wait. I know it's a long shot, but chances are there will be a TON more D700s on sale after the D800 is out. And the D700 owners will sell for cheaper because there are so many more, and they just had $3000+ ripped from their bank account. Personally, I bought a D800, coming from a D300s. But, I'll definitely be in the market for a D700 in a few months, when the prices come down. Or even a D3.

But, the decision is completely up to you. I can't see the D90 price dropping anytime soon. There's simply no reason for it to. So, chances are, you'll still get as much for your D90 in April as you are going to in February.

If you go with the D700, at any time, you're surely going to love it. You never hear I hated my D700, so I sold it and bought a D90. :lol:

Mark

There are as many DX format users wanting in on the FX craze as there are FX buyers looking to move into the latest and greatest....

When I bought my D700 the majority here said I should have waited for the new D800....and that was what, like a year ago?

The prices on digital cameras will ALWAYS be cheaper in 6 months..

That's true. And the D800 was supposed to be out a year ago. ;)

Mark

yeah, I guess I was replying more to the OP's quote, but forgot to hit "reply with quote". *see below

....I will kick myself if I go for a D700 now and see prices drop 6 months from now..

Is the 35mm F1.8 DX or FX? If it's FX, I'd rather keep it and sell the 90 F2.8 just to have a more balanced range. I don't know the quality of either lens, just commenting based on the focal length.

I really don't think the D700 price is going to drop much because D800 isn't a direct replacement of the D700. However for someone who wants to go brand new, D800 is better bang for the buck IMO.

There are as many DX format users wanting in on the FX craze as there are FX buyers looking to move into the latest and greatest....

When I bought my D700 the majority here said I should have waited for the new D800....and that was what, like a year ago?

That's true. And the D800 was supposed to be out a year ago. ;)

Mark

yeah, I guess I was replying more to the OP's quote, but forgot to hit "reply with quote". *see below

....I will kick myself if I go for a D700 now and see prices drop 6 months from now..

Haha, I was replying to Trever. See above.

Is the 35mm F1.8 DX or FX? If it's FX, I'd rather keep it and sell the 90 F2.8 just to have a more balanced range. I don't know the quality of either lens, just commenting based on the focal length.

The 35 is DX. The 90 is a macro lens. Sell that and you have no macro lens in the lineup.

Mark

Most reactions

Back