Thinking about getting a studio strobe

EhJsNe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I currently have just a single sb-600 flash along with a 33" umbrella that is my only light source. I've quite often found myself wanting another light source.....so I've finally decided to get one :D

I was thinking about the Interfit Stellar X 300 Monolight along with an Interfit 39x39" Softbox

I was thinking that the softbox was rather large...but I wasn't sure exactly if the speed rings for the other brands soft boxes would work on the strobe..and it was the cheapest one I could find (Price is a pretty big issue) and worse case scenario I could macgyver something to block out some light.

The biggest issue I have with this purchase is that I can't find out if the built in optical strobe would work exactly as the one in my sb-600. I obviously want to use them together at the same time..both off camera..

So I guess my question would be that I need to know if commander mode in my d70 would set them both off at the same time?

when using studio strobes with speedlights you can get white balance issues.....

So I guess my question would be that I need to know if commander mode in my d70 would set them both off at the same time?

I've tried to set my AB400 off with my pop up in commander mode, and unless you're standing with the camera 3 inches from the back of the strobe, I couldn't get it to work in normal lighting situations. It may work better if you are in a highly dark room.

when using studio strobes with speedlights you can get white balance issues.....

Crap...Is there a filter I can use for either my flash or the strobe to correct this?

I've tried to set my AB400 off with my pop up in commander mode, and unless you're standing with the camera 3 inches from the back of the strobe, I couldn't get it to work in normal lighting situations. It may work better if you are in a highly dark room.

double crap....haha Yeah I probably wouldn't ever be in a room that's too dark for normal photographing....

Not that i'm aware of.....I was looking at studio strobes myself, decided just to buy a bunch of yongnuo speedlights instead.

I have and do use a reflector quite often...but it doesn't reflect enough light...

Before you go and buy a stobe, check out this video. This may be a cheap solution to test the white balance issue to see if you can overcome it.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ :thumbup: ^

I really liked that.. will try it at the soonest :)

That was pretty informative! Thanks for showing me that :D

Thinking about it now, when I take pictures in my living room with my sb-600, I usually have the ceiling lights on, which are all incandescent and I've never really had a major white balance issue with that..so I think I should be good.

197242_204189589592798_100000052762103_814395_2188035_n.jpg

There's an example of one of my dog I took with my sb-600 and the ceiling lights on too..

That was pretty informative! Thanks for showing me that :D

Thinking about it now, when I take pictures in my living room with my sb-600, I usually have the ceiling lights on, which are all incandescent and I've never really had a major white balance issue with that..so I think I should be good.

your strobe overpowers those lights. It won't overpower another strobe.

unless you have it set just to use fill, then you will notice a difference in white balance which is why people gel there strobes for different lights.

Most reactions

Back