thinking of buying some nd filters

WTF?

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i wasnt sure where to put this, but im thinking of buying an ND or ND grad filter at some stage soon and seeing as im only buying one for the moment, i want to know what strength i should go with first, and weather i should go with a round solid ND filter or a square/rectangular graduated ones.

im not sure which type id get more use out of, ill end up getting sets of both types eventually, but seeing as im short on money (16, and dont have a job)
id like to know what i should get for a starting point to work from.

any tips and advice would be great, thanks

It depends what you want to use the filters for. The ND filter is good if you were to be shooting moving water and wanted the silky effect (it lets you use a longer shutter as less light is coming through) the grad ones are normally for darkening the top of the sky when its a bright day or sunset etc, thus the bottom is clear so you can expose the foreground properly. I personally chose a few made by cokin, P series, which are the square ones. You would need to buy the filter holder and then you can buy whatever filters at any stage and put in the one you fancy using. Mind you if your using these filters you would pretty much need it mounted on a tripod. imho

and in fact you may do well to try and buy them from a UK supplier as they are light and wont cost much to post and your $$$$ is sooooooooooo strong at the mo !! not so good for us brits!!

bump

i dont think our dollar's strong, i think its just the pound is weak, but its still worth about twice as much as our dollar.

any british website in particular youd recommend?

and what what strength filter should i start off with?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back