Thinking of getting some new lenses

zaroba

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looking to purchase these lenses. Have looked up a lot of details and reviews of them on google but review sites can be misleading. I'm wondering if any of you here have any strong opinions regarding them.

I will be using them on a T3i and mostly be doing nature photography with them. Also some interior low light pictures such as zoos and aquariums.

Canon 50mm F/1.4 USM
Canon 100mm F/2.8 Macro USM
Canon 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6 L IS II USM
Also thinking of getting a Canon 2x teleconverter for the 100-400.

I had the 100mm but IS, my mate had the one you say and Both were fantastic to use. You will love the 100mm USM a joy to use.

Do you mean the 100mm macro or the 100mm IS edition? I ask only as your other two choices are high end new whilst the 100mm macro is the older (second hand now) edition of the lens.

The 100-400mm II is an outstanding zoom lens and would be ideal for zoo photography and also general nature/wildlife. I'm aware that it can very well take a 1.4TC however I've honestly not looked into how well it performs with the 2*TC. The aperture would also be an issue as the 1.4 would make it into an f8 lens at the long end whilst the 2* would make it f11 which is a lot of light loss. Also on most Canon Camera bodies the auto focus shuts off after a certain value of aperture is passed (f5.6 for most in regular mode, f8 in live view). So you could well lose AF and a lot of light. That alone would make me consider not using the 2*TC on it and only using the 1.4TC.

A 2*TC is very demanding and typically only used on prime lenses with f2.8 apertures (though a few zooms can use one such as the 70-200mm f2.8 IS MII and Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS).

The 100mm macro (either original or IS) is a great macro lens. Ideal for starting out with macro photography and good in general use for nature photography. You might want a flash and small softbox (eg lumiquest) to help provide more light for macro photography.

The 50mm might see less use although indoors might well be good for low light situations (esp in zoos where you can't often use flash on many light sensitive species), though could push your T3i to its ISO limits.

Do you mean the 100mm macro or the 100mm IS edition? I ask only as your other two choices are high end new whilst the 100mm macro is the older (second hand now) edition of the lens.

The 100-400mm II is an outstanding zoom lens and would be ideal for zoo photography and also general nature/wildlife. I'm aware that it can very well take a 1.4TC however I've honestly not looked into how well it performs with the 2*TC. The aperture would also be an issue as the 1.4 would make it into an f8 lens at the long end whilst the 2* would make it f11 which is a lot of light loss. Also on most Canon Camera bodies the auto focus shuts off after a certain value of aperture is passed (f5.6 for most in regular mode, f8 in live view). So you could well lose AF and a lot of light. That alone would make me consider not using the 2*TC on it and only using the 1.4TC.

A 2*TC is very demanding and typically only used on prime lenses with f2.8 apertures (though a few zooms can use one such as the 70-200mm f2.8 IS MII and Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS).

The 100mm macro (either original or IS) is a great macro lens. Ideal for starting out with macro photography and good in general use for nature photography. You might want a flash and small softbox (eg lumiquest) to help provide more light for macro photography.

The 50mm might see less use although indoors might well be good for low light situations (esp in zoos where you can't often use flash on many light sensitive species), though could push your T3i to its ISO limits.

Damn, glad you mentioned the IS, I definitely want that.
You just saved me some frustration.

Nope...skip the 2x teleconverter on a slow zoom like a 100-400...too much light loss puts you into sloooooow maximum aperture values, along with long effective focal lengths, so just stick with the lens.

Yea, was debating that as well.
Easy enough to get the lens and worry about a teleconvertor later if I find the base zoom isn't enough for my desires.

I have the 2x TC for the 2.8 70-200 L. It is much cheaper than the equivalent zoom and acceptable quality but clearly not as good. I agree with the other responders that you would not want to put it on anything slower than 2.8.

Looking to purchase these lenses. Have looked up a lot of details and reviews of them on google but review sites can be misleading. I'm wondering if any of you here have any strong opinions regarding them.

I will be using them on a T3i and mostly be doing nature photography with them. Also some interior low light pictures such as zoos and aquariums.

Canon 50mm F/1.4 USM
Canon 100mm F/2.8 Macro USM
Canon 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6 L IS II USM
Also thinking of getting a Canon 2x teleconverter for the 100-400.

all good choices, also look at the Sigma 150-600 for wildlife
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

The T3i wont be able to auto-focus in normal view-finder mode if you use a Teleconverter with the 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 lens.

One of the things you have to remember about teleconverter multiplication factors (e.g. 1.4x or 2x) is that it multiplies BOTH the focal length *and* the focal ratio.

This means a 2x on a 100-400 makes the focal length 200-800... but the f/4.5-5.6 becomes f/9-11.

The phase-detect auto-focus sensors on the T3i can't focus at f/9-11. Normally when you set an f/stop for a shot, you're actually focusing at wide-open, then lens only stops-down when you take the shot.

Most higher end bodies support working auto-focus at f/8. I have a 5D IV, the 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II and the 1.4x III teleconverter. Combined this gives me 140-560mm f/6.3-8 ... which the 5D IV can handle (and not ALL focus points are available at f/8)

No camera that I know of supports working phase-detect auto-focus at f/9-11. You can still manually focus the lens and also the contrast-detect auto-focus (live-view mode) will work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back