Thinking of switching to Nikon

jnkinney

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've used Pentax for about the last 12 years, when I first go into photography. The ZX-50 was my first "good" camera. A year and a half ago I finally made the jump to digital with the K-10D. The main reason I stuck with Pentax was that I have a couple decent lenses and did not want to have to buy all new lenses for a Nikon. Now that I've sent my K10 in for warranty work for a second time in about six months, I'm questioning my decision to stick with Pentax. There are some good prices on D80s and I'd really like to have a camera I can count on. Not that there are any guarantees I know, but this experience has soured me somewhat on Pentax. Not to mention there's a lot more lenses out there for the Nikons. Any thoughts?

I've had my K10D about the same time with no issues, so I wouldn't be quick to jump on Pentax as the culprit, especially since you seem to have had good luck with them in the past.

Lenses and accessories are limited for Pentax though. Guess you are really in my boat. I'd like to get a full frame sensor, like the D700 offers, with more choices in lenses and gizmos, but I have several lenses I'd have to replace in the process.

Gotta juggle it all and see where the right balance is, I guess.

One other reason nudging me is the K10D seems to have a lot of noise in low light situations...

Kind of seesawed on it right now. If I get the K10 back and it works the way it's supposed to then I will stick with it. If it begins freezing on me again tho, which has been the problem, I may have to make the jump. I like the looks of the D300, but I'm not sure I can afford it. We'll see I guess. Thanks for the input.

Buy into a system not a camera - buy into a system that will work for you....

Does Nikon offer the type of lenses you are looking for? Is Canon a better option? Better off sticking with Pentax??? Only you can decide....

I have had no issues with my Nikon cameras so far, been very reliable.

My choise of Nikon over Canon at the time was purely on ergonomics of the camera as the Nikon felt good in my hands and personally I thought it was a better looking camera...

I am very happy I went Nikon route although Canon lenses seem to be more reasonably priced. Good luck with your decision

Most reactions

Back