Thinking of upgrading from my Rebel XS

Alter_Ego

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys its been a very long time since i last posted here but i always come running back when im in need of advice :)
At the moment im thinking of upgrading to the canon T3i only because my brother wants my Rebel XS and i figured maybe its time i upgraded although i would rather spend that money a new lens :drool:

Is there a vast difference between the two models? At the moment im going for the video feature but besides that i have no idea why im going for the T3i lol such a noob - I know. Figured I'd buy a brand spanking new camera and just grow into it even though ive been craving a telephoto lens for water sports :(

What do you guys think? Should i just tell my brother to f--- off? lol kidding. What would be the benefits of upgrading to this model? I mean at least all my lens will still work.

What lens exactly are you looking at? What is your upgrade budget? I shoot Nikon so take this for what it's worth, it looks like your XS shoots around 3fps and the T3i shoots around 3.7fps. The higer the fps the better for action shoots (you mentioned water sprots) but I am not sure how much that extra 0.7fps is actually worth. From what I can tell the T3i is supperior to your XS in just about every way but it is also more expensive. I guess I would ask myself the following questions.

Is your XS limiting you in some way that the T3i would not? (have your skills exceeded the XS' abilities)
Are the advantages of the T3i over your XS worth the extra money?
Which would you benefit more from, a new lens or a new body?
How much do you like your brother? :D

Again, I am new as well and I don't shoot Canon so take my input for what its worth.

if you upgrade your camera i would go to a higher level, instead of a newer camera on the same one

if you stay at the same level, just get a new lens instead

I agree, if you are going to upgrade then upgrade to the higher end line don't stay with the rebel series, and I feel that the best time to upgrade is when you've pushed the limits of your current body or it just gives out and dies on you. Not because someone else wants your "old" camera. I'd rather get new glass and work the living daylights out of my current body.

Buy him a used xs or xt.

Yeah.. ditto.. at least go with a non rebel series or dont upgrade.

I respectfully disagree with those who say upgrade to a higher class or not at all. Especially for someone who admits to their newbishness. With the T3i he'll get a sensor, processor, AF system and feature set that are all superior to his XS. He'll also get better high ISO performance and video, which he mentions is important to him. There's such a big generational difference between the XS and the T3i, that it's very nearly like moving up to a higher class of camera.

I just dont like the controls. No wheel control for your thumb and no display on the top. No way I would go back to that.

Get a nikon lol jk.
lol

I've had the XS for about a year and a half and probably taken close to 3000 photos.
I cover a lot of events from fashion shows to beach sports... if i was to invest in a new lens i would want a fast telephoto lens or invest in some lighting equipment since i have none.
I have no idea how to tell if ive "grown out" of the XS, it means quite a lot to me being my first ever dslr :)

The T3i

3000?? That's it? That's low man especially if you shoot events.

I used to have the xt before my d5000

I personally am going to agree with the others that said to upgrade out of the rebel line..

I'm still "new" with my xsi, but am deciding to upgrade and I am upgrading to a 60d. Still not what I think most consider a professional level camera, but it's not a rebel and it's much better than the xsi :)

3000?? That's it? That's low man especially if you shoot events.

Yeah i just started doing events a month ago so ill probably using the camera a lot more.

What would someone recommend to upgrade to? And will that mean ill need a new bunch of lens for them?

I now might decide to go with the 50D.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back