Third party D7100 experience

jaomul

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
FWIW- maybe it's my camera

I had a tokina 50-135mm f2.8 on Canon and loved it. When I went Nikon I bought this difficult to get lens for my D7100. Anything further than 5 meters or so back focussed crazy. I adjusted the cameras mf to +20 and the individual lens to +20, totalling +40 input, and still not enough.

Fast fwd bought a sigma 50-150 f2.8 hsm (non OS). It back focussed on some shots,front focussing on others depending on focal length, but not a little, a lot. Also this lens would not focus in live view, internet search suggested it needed sigma update.

I decided that Nikons own brand were a safer bet but then read there is some dealings between Tamron and Nikon and also that you do hear I'd problems between other third party makers and Nikon bodies, but not so much with tamron.

Due this I bought a Tamron 70-300mm vc and Macro 90mm vc which both perform as they should.

This may be only my experience but it is said around the interwebz that Nikon do change up software when releasing bodies to disable third party functions. I do suggest anyone buying third party for newer nikons try and test them first.

Anyone else have similar experience?

I have a D7100 and haven't had any issues with 3rd party lenses. My Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 and Sigma 50-150mm 2.8 OS were both purchased used and I couldn't be happier with the results. I've never done any of the firmware updates but I've heard some of the older lenses needing it when going on a newer body.

Good stuff. I'd imagine anything made or released after the d7100 came out is probably a safe bet

I wouldn't say they change up software to specifically disable 3rd party stuff, but all the third party stuff is reverse-engineered. Nobody gets nuthin' from Nikon as to how stuff works. When new cameras come out, their feature set will be different, and the third party stuff has to catch up; they can't design for stuff they've not seen yet!

Most reactions

Back