This Bud's for, well you know

First impressions: 1) this one appears to be a little overexposed - the bud in the middle is a bit blown out.
2) and 3) Not bad - sharp, good colour, although the "buds" in #3 are blown out a bit.

WesternGuy

First impressions: 1) this one appears to be a little overexposed - the bud in the middle is a bit blown out.
2) and 3) Not bad - sharp, good colour, although the "buds" in #3 are blown out a bit.

WesternGuy
thank you for your comments.

Picture 1 & 3 are over exposed. All suffer from way too much contrast via strong directional lighting. Softer, more diffused light is what you need and want. From the looks of it, you shot well into the height of the day, on a brilliant sunlit day. You can't control mother nature, and if you are forced to shoot during the wrong time of day (like I'm), there are things you can do to help control the lighting. Look for flowers in shade, but not where there are strong shadows. Use a tripod, and remote shutter release. That frees you up after the composition to use a diffuser to soften the light.

There are all kinds and types of diffusers including Rub Goldberg ones. Even a simple white umbrella will work just fine. The key is to diffuse the light, not create a shaded scene.

On a positive note, all three pictures are nicely composed.

Picture 1 & 3 are over exposed. All suffer from way too much contrast via strong directional lighting. Softer, more diffused light is what you need and want. From the looks of it, you shot well into the height of the day, on a brilliant sunlit day. You can't control mother nature, and if you are forced to shoot during the wrong time of day (like I'm), there are things you can do to help control the lighting. Look for flowers in shade, but not where there are strong shadows. Use a tripod, and remote shutter release. That frees you up after the composition to use a diffuser to soften the light.

There are all kinds and types of diffusers including Rub Goldberg ones. Even a simple white umbrella will work just fine. The key is to diffuse the light, not create a shaded scene.

On a positive note, all three pictures are nicely composed.
Thanks, I'll look into that.

Most reactions

Back