This is not Mexico - -

Ron Evers

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
In the country 60km north of Toronto, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
- but we have a gathering of Monarchs in the yard. We have seen quite a few Monarchs about the property over the last week but what we saw tonight was something special. I was in the office & it was almost dark when my wife came in & said "grab your camera, you gotta see this".

Sears 135/2.8, ISO 800

P1040405sm.jpg

P1040409sm.jpg

P1040410sm.jpg

the colors seem really dull to me

I think the colors look great in the first one. The others do seem desautrated a bit. But they are def orange, not pink! That is a ton of monarchs, love them,

The colors look good to me, check your specs busrider. Nice job, Ron. The first one seems a little underexposed. Maybe could have used a little fill flash, but thats just nitpicking.

For an "almost dark" shot, you did well. Very nice capture. It's a true priviledge to witness something like that.

Thanks folks.

Almost dark, back lighting, long range, pop-up flash not working = poor colour/focus. I will go out with morning light & see if they are still there.

It is dull because you see the underside of the wings.

It is dull because you see the underside of the wings.

by george I think thats it! Lol I thought of that, but looked again and thought i was wrong. After looking again you are right. They look good Ron. They dont stick around for long do they?

Last night they were hasty shots with a 135mm lens hand held before it got too dark. Well, there were still some perched this morning & many on the wing. Damn overcast & poor light but I took a few shots with my Vivitar Series 1 70-210/3.5 & on a tripod this time.

P1040441sm.jpg

P1040428sm.jpg

P1040443sm.jpg

Amazing...how could you look at something like that and not be in awe of nature. Are you in the path of their migration? Or did something else pull them into your yard.

Amazing...how could you look at something like that and not be in awe of nature. Are you in the path of their migration? Or did something else pull them into your yard.

We have lived here for 36 years & never seen this before. So I doubt we are on the normal migration path. There were groups like this in several different trees but this was the easiest to shoot.

Most reactions

Back