This is why I only swim in swimming pools

When I was a kid my dad, myself and my dad's cousin went fishing in a country pond. We were catching some nice bluegill but when we went to pull up the stringer with the fish on it to leave a turtle was there and had helped himself to our catch. I think he left us a few heads.

Jerry

I have always heard that they are skilled fish thieves.

Eh, we have one like that or bigger in our pond. I just wish I could get that close to him! When I do get an angle on him he's in the center of the pond and I can't get a shot of anything but his head!
We still swim there. He hides when we stir things up. My mom won't let me cook him, so he still lives. Environmental Protection estimated him to be about 75 years old or better. How long can those things live???

My understanding is around 50 years or so, so you really have an elder turtle there.

In my freshwater Bass fishing days, I spent countless days fishing the NYC reservoir system from one of my rowboats (only type of boat allowed), and from time to time had some up close and personal contact with these guys. Never had any problems as they just slowly swam right by us.

Did they ever get any of your fish?

Eh, we have one like that or bigger in our pond. I just wish I could get that close to him! When I do get an angle on him he's in the center of the pond and I can't get a shot of anything but his head!
We still swim there. He hides when we stir things up. My mom won't let me cook him, so he still lives. Environmental Protection estimated him to be about 75 years old or better. How long can those things live???

These things can live for a very, very long time. The oldest one recorded lived for 226 years old. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

Please don't eat yours for supper... such amazing animals.

Last time we went to Hawaii and went snorkeling and hovered over one that was eating and he just turned his head and looked at us for a second (as if he was saying What's up lol) then turned his attention back to eating.

Nice. Here in Florida, its common to find big gators in pools.

Thank you 2WheelPhoto :D
My mother (she died 2 years ago) lived in southern FL, I always hoped to see a gator walking around the yards, but no luck.

Nice shot of the turtle!!! Really a lovely photo. I especially like the aquatic grasses on the left hand side of the frame. Looks so,so beautiful!

Thank you Derrel :D I am very happy you like it.

These things can live for a very, very long time. The oldest one recorded lived for 226 years old. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

Last time we went to Hawaii and went snorkeling and hovered over one that was eating and he just turned his head and looked at us for a second (as if he was saying What's up lol) then turned his attention back to eating.

Turtle soup is pretty damn good. Although he'd be a LOT of turtle soup. I could probably open a soup kitchen with him...
And I'd prefer to eat him than have him snap one of the kids... Then again, we are all hunters here and definitely eat what we hunt, so... I have no problems with it. A non hunter (my mom???) might!

WOW! I never would have guessed that they could live so long.

Most reactions

Back