This look good?

Brotage

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So after hours of searching through lenses and debating on which body and which brand I should get I came up with this

Canon Digital Rebel XTi
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=457506&is=REG

and

Canon Telephoto EF 85mm f/1.8 USM autofocus Lens
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12182-USA/Canon_2519A003_85mm_f_1_8_USM_Autofocus.html

perhaps get some other lenses later, if you could suggest any others.

Oh and would I be able to shoot infrared shots with this?
and assuming I could would this be the filter I need?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/23078-REG/Hoya_015457_58mm_RM72_Infrared_Glass.htmland I'll need some kind of memory card right? how much does 1 gb, 2gb, and so on hold?

I think you are going to be pretty limited in your subjects with that lens, simply because it is a telephoto prime.

Unless you are sure you want something that length, you may want to look shorter.

Yeah, I've also considered getting the 50mm 1.8 since it's only 70$, and I probably will later on.

I also looked at a wide angle (28m 1.8) but that was 400$ which is a bit too much for now... there is another one for 220$ or so but I like to read the reviews for something that I'm going to drop a few hundred dollars on.

that lens has 20 some reviews and still has a 4.9 rating.. which is pretty kickass

if anyone knows some cheap wide angles or more reviews please share

I also put in hours of research and decided on the XTi.

Why are you going with a fixed zoom lens? I don't understand the benifits of fixed zoom, please tell me.

Yeah, I've also considered getting the 50mm 1.8 since it's only 70$, and I probably will later on.

I also looked at a wide angle (28m 1.8) but that was 400$ which is a bit too much for now... there is another one for 220$ or so but I like to read the reviews for something that I'm going to drop a few hundred dollars on.

that lens has 20 some reviews and still has a 4.9 rating.. which is pretty kickass

if anyone knows some cheap wide angles or more reviews please share

dont buy a lens based on reviews. just because a lens is as sharp as possible, f/0.5 and made by god himself, doesn't mean that it is going to suit your needs.

For instance, if you are going to be doing a lot of indoor shooting and dont live in a mansion, 80mm is probably a bit long. However, if you want to take pictures of birds or other wildlife, 80mm is going to be pretty short.

I also put in hours of research and decided on the XTi.

Why are you going with a fixed zoom lens? I don't understand the benifits of fixed zoom, please tell me.

I don't really like zooms because I start getting lazy, whereas if I don't I can usually climb up or down something and it forces me to get much more interesting stuff. And I need a lens for skating shots I haven't been able to find many zooms with a relatively low (or is it high?) enough apertures for skating.

Theres usually some sort of way to work around space issues, and I don't think ill be doing many indoor shots, usually at the skatepark but thats really wide open.

I suppose I could do all of this with a wide angle or normal too.. sigh..

if there was a lens sharp as possible, f/0.5 and made by god himself, i think i could change my needs to use it.....

benifits of a prime lens over a zoom are,
they are generally cheaper for the given max apperature.
for example, my nikor 50mm f1.4 lens is 350 new.
a nikor 17-35mm f2.8 is 1,500 new.
you could probably pick up a good 24 f2.8 lens plus a
50mm lens for less then the 17-35 f2.8

fixed lenses are generally sharper.
this used to be much more true, however
modern zooms are pretty gosh darn sharp (at least good ones)
though i still think primes are sharper. (would take a well trained eye to see the difference though

and lastly, primes are generally smaller and more compack then a zoom.
a 50mm lens and a 24 mm lens are smaller and lighter then a 17-55mm lens.

oh, and as far as lenses go, i would start off with the 50mm 1.8
its a good starting point, it would let you shoot in more confined spaces and for 70 dollars, its kinda silly not to have one

o...seen...

so the lower the aperture, the greater the sharpness?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back