This May Be The Dumbest Question Ever

Read the Fing Manual?

just a guess

But put politely, The + / - buttons are only to zoom in when using: live view (if supported which the xs doesnt, the xsi does however.)
and when viewing an image you have taken
When shooting the - button is default AE lock and the + button is default Auto focus point selection.

And its called "aperture" not "aperature". I will second the reading the manual idea. I usually do it when I get a new camera while the batteries are charging for the first time.

Certainly the OP should have looked in the manual but don't pile it on because of a misspelling, especially when it's the most misspelled word in this forum frequently by those with thousands of posts.

You read that as piling it on? I know its a common thing. Just helping out, there was nothing negative meant. Relax!

And its called "aperture" not "aperature". I will second the reading the manual idea. I usually do it when I get a new camera while the batteries are charging for the first time.

Certainly the OP should have looked in the manual but don't pile it on because of a misspelling, especially when it's the most misspelled word in this forum frequently by those with thousands of posts.

You read that as piling it on? I know its a common thing. Just helping out, there was nothing negative meant. Relax!

Understand.

It's just that everybody was repeating RTFM and then I saw your comment.

I don't know that anyone's Cheerio's got pissed on. I will however say that there are some very basic common sense things in this world. One of them is if you buy a piece of equipment that is new to you, R.T.F.M.

If the OP had done that, I doubt that this whole thread would have existed. And before someone jumps on me about being mean spirited in answering questions, there is a world of difference between the OP's question here and one where the person asking has read the manual, or other appropriate materials and is asking about a concept they do not understand AFTER they did some basic research. We all run across concepts in our lives that even after doing some research we need help understanding. That is part of life, but failing to do that simple step in the middle is another matter.

You know what you call a guy who buys a Table Saw and doesn't read the manual?.......................................................................Stubby.

Yeah....I read the 200+ page manual BEFORE picking up my camera for a few min. to play around with it. Im sure you did too.

Rolls eyes.

Yeah....I read the 200+ page manual BEFORE picking up my camera for a few min. to play around with it. Im sure you did too.

Rolls eyes.
To be honest, I did. I played with it while reading the manual.

:mrgreen:

Jesus H...

Who pissed on everyone's Cheerios on this forum lately.
I don't eat Cherios, lol.

Rolls eyes.
To be honest, I did. I played with it while reading the manual.

:mrgreen:
I didn't really read the manual, but I did go on youtube and look at the videos for my camera. That is only because I hate reading and I learn better from someone showing it. But I did pick up the manual a couple of times.

Rolls eyes.

Yes actually I did. With camera in hand as I read it, all 212 pages of the 1D MkIII manual. I didn't buy the thing on a whim, I bought a tool to use. A tool that I want to get the most use out of. A tool that cost me considerable hard earned money that I also wanted to use a while before I have to replace it.

In doing so I learned a lot about the camera, including the fact that the +/- next to the dial by the eye piece neither zooms the viewfinder or the lens, but is the viewfinder diaptor adjuster.

That way I won't be on the sidelines of a college football game cursing my camera because I can't get the lens to zoom while I am turning that little dial. Or asking if my camera is broken because I can't get the lens to zoom with that little dial. :lol: :lmao: :lol: :lmao:

That way I won't be on the sidelines of a college football game cursing my camera because I can't get the lens to zoom while I am turning that little dial. Or asking if my camera is broken because I can't get the lens to zoom with that little dial. :lol: :lmao: :lol: :lmao:
You would be hard pressed to turn that little dial on a whim with the 1DMk3... it's hidden under the eye piece. :) Hehe.

You would be hard pressed to turn that little dial on a whim with the 1DMk3... it's hidden under the eye piece. :) Hehe.

Not when you don't use the eye piece.:lol: I'm a glasses wearer and the 1D MIII is usually on the 400 f2.8. I tend to leave the eyepiece off as I am a two eye shooter and the viewfinder is bigger and brighter than the 40D or 30D I also use. Other times when I'm not shooting sports then I stick the eye piece back on. Then that little wheel gets real hard to see. :D

The hard part is getting my thumb up to it while also using my thumb for full time focus since I take focus off of the shutter button. My poor right thumb looks like Popey's arms these days.:mrgreen: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Antagonizing people who are trying to give helpful advice is not a good way to join a community. The very purpose of an SLR is to have a more manual feel of the mechanics of the camera. Zoom is the very base of this. It's very easy to push the '+' button and realize it doesn't zoom, and then turning the zoom ring will quickly inform you of the purpose. Getting angry at people on your third post for pointing this out makes you look like an utter buffoon... no offence of course.

If you would like to join the community more gradually, stick around and read a lot. And then join simply to use the search button to find an answer to a burning question. It has been asked. Once every opportunity to find the info yourself has been exhausted, then ask away. But don't get pissed at people trying to help, regardless of what they say.

The hard part is getting my thumb up to it while also using my thumb for full time focus since I take focus off of the shutter button. My poor right thumb looks like Popey's arms these days.:mrgreen: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I'm left-eyed. Try as much as possible and I'm unable to use my right eye with the viewfinder. It was a real nuisance with film before the days of auto-winders. If I tried to shoot rapidly, I'd stick my thumb in my eye advancing the film! :grumpy: It's still a minor nuisance with digital because of the location of some of the controls.

Most reactions

Back