This much fun for $26 should be illegal!

Actually, I mounted this flash on my camera, and the on board flash still popped up, meaning that my camera didn't know it was there.. Since I have the SB-600, I never plan to mount it to my camera, anyway, so no biggie-I just wanted a nice optical slave since my camera can't do wireless flash..

-sigh- That only happens in auto mode........ (or at least on Canons)

Hmm, this could be something I might be interested in as I just have a little ole superzoom and nothing to attach a flash unit to.

I've always wondered about slave flashes that can be triggered by the popup flash. I'm wondering what happens with redeye from the popup flash when you also use something like this. Obviously, with the type of camera mine is, I have a major redeye problem. So, would I still get redeye from the popup when using it with something like this slave flash?

Does your camera have the option of red-eye reduction, meaning one or more pre-flashes before the big Kahuna? If so, look at the picture of the back of the flash I posted-the switch to the left of the power switch in the bottom right sets the number of flashes the slave is to watch... It can be set from one to four for cameras that do pre-flashes.. Pretty slick.

...I haven't any idea yet how to do this type of photography effectively.. I will, though..

You've probably heard of Strobist.com. Get the book "Light, Science & Magic". It's the most useful photography book I've read in a decade.

I thought this one was really neat... notice the screen..

01_10_2009_6525.jpg

Cool! Seems like an awesome flash!

It really is.. I can't believe how it "sees" the flash from my camera pretty much no matter where I put it.. I was so disappointed that my camera can't do wireless flashes, but this has opened up many possibilities..

Last edited:
You've probably heard of Strobist.com. Get the book "Light, Science & Magic". It's the most useful photography book I've read in a decade.

I've just ordered it on your recommendation. You've been around enough to know what you're talking about. You're one of a select few on here that I pay close attention to because to not to would be foolish..

Thanks for the tip.

Does your camera have the option of red-eye reduction, meaning one or more pre-flashes before the big Kahuna? If so, look at the picture of the back of the flash I posted-the switch to the left of the power switch in the bottom right sets the number of flashes the slave is to watch... It can be set from one to four for cameras that do pre-flashes.. Pretty slick.
No, I meant I wonder if I would still get redeye in my photos from the popup flash because I would still be using the popup. Redeye reduction flashes do not work with popup flash and I don't use it.

I already read your text where you tell it has a setting for use with redeye reduction on the camera flash. That's not what I am wondering. Thanks for the thought anyways.

I may have to invest in one of these...

*EDIT*
So, would I still get redeye from the popup when using it with something like this slave flash?

Yes, the preflash is supposed to prep the eye for the flash (I think) if you use it in the same manor that produces redeye, the redeye will continue even if there is an additional light source I do believe.

Since red-eye is caused by the flash reflecting off the back of the eyeball, you will always have red eye when flashing straight on with the pop-up flash.. It's all in the angle that the light hits the eye and reflects back..

The only effective way to eliminate red eye is to flash the subject an an off angle so that the reflection isn't optimal for red eye. That's why the pros use flash brackets that get the flash up higher and off to the side.

Ken Rockwell says, and I agree with him, that the red-eye reduction pre-flashes are useless as all it does is get you picture of people squinting or blinking.. The theory is sound-bright light closing down the retina, thereby reducing red eye, but I just don't think it works in practicality.

Last edited:
Ok, well, I was hoping that a slave flash, even this cheap one in this thread, would overpower the popup and reduce the redeye. Doesn't matter, we are heading out to do some shopping and I'm going to check out at the stores that sell this type of stuff in the camera section (Staples, Ritz, etc.) If not, I'll look on Adorama and B&H, though I think Adorama states out of stock right now.

Ok, well, I was hoping that a slave flash, even this cheap one in this thread, would overpower the popup and reduce the redeye. Doesn't matter, we are heading out to do some shopping and I'm going to check out at the stores that sell this type of stuff in the camera section (Staples, Ritz, etc.) If not, I'll look on Adorama and B&H, though I think Adorama states out of stock right now.

I was the one who bought the last one in-stock from Adorama on Monday. I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with the trigger voltage on Nikon DSLR's w/ this flash? I know the max. is 250v. I'm scared to mount it, i don't wanna fry my nikon d40...

Any help would be GREAT!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back