This night is a train wreck

Matt24138

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been standing outside trying to do some light painting it is so humid my camera is sweating and my glasses and lens keep fogging up. I also bought a really expensive cleaning cloth that is leaving lint all over my lens. I guess I will not be getting anything accomplished tonight. Explicative!!!!!!

Balls! Why the queen said "If i had two i'd be king!"

But seriously, nights like that suck. Just wait, tomorrow night you'll get an amazing shot!

I really thought after an hour of letting my camera acclimate I would be ok but the humidity is out of control. I took some practice shots just playing with settings. Hopefully I will be able to judge what difference they make so it's not a total waste.

I feel your pain. Once I woke up before dawn with my antique field camera to catch the morning fog burning off the mountains. The humidity was out of control. I was disassembling my lens every 5 minutes to wipe off the condensation and my film back was dripping with dew. The moisture caused major flare but I was able to dodge it out in post. I ended up with a pretty good image. Don't give up.

Here you go. Here's a 7-pack of "cleaning cloths" that will NOT leave lint!!! You can use them whole, as-is, or cut them up into about 50 separate cloths....and yes, I am serious.Hanes Great Save Crew Neck Tee 7pk - White : Target
These won't scratch the lens? I have had a pair of glasses get scratched by t-shirts

I have glasses as well, I think they ususally get scratches due to particles already on the lens or on an exceptionally dirty t-shirt. If all thats on the lens is condensation and the t-rags are clean then I don't think it wiould be a problem. I would wait for someone with more camera lans cleaning experience than I to confirm that though.

P.S. I actually misread your title and thought you had photographed a train wreck! I am relieved that there wasn't one but it would have made for some amazing photos.

Air blast first, then cleaning cloth, should prevent scratches.

...I don't think it wiould be a problem. I would wait for someone with more camera lans cleaning experience than I to confirm that though.
Clean t-shirts will not scratch camera lenses. Repeated use with extreme pressure may damage some of the coatings, but that's about it. Even a dirty shirt would have to have some fairly serious grit in it to really damage a lens. Don't forget that the lenses in most "glasses" today are actually plastic. Camera elements (except for cheaper P&S) are AFAIK, still all glass. Glass is hard. Very hard.

Using a blower bulb like the Giottos Rocket to blow the big chunks off first is good adice. Never, EVER used "canned" air that is meant for cleaning computers and small machinery.

What about a HIGH PSI Air Compressor...no? bad idea? I use canned air...but I'm a 'puter geek apparently...and so know how to use a can of air properly...but yea...I wouldn't actually recommend using it...

Nothing to do with knowing how to use it 'Drex; the problem with canned air is that it can contain trace amounts of oil. Won't hurt a computer, but a camera sensor..

Sensor...was I off, I thought we were talking about lenses...don't know why...I stand by my phrase "I'm an idiot"

Oh, btw tirediron...canned air will harm a 'puter....try turning the can upside down and spray it into the power supply while the computer is operational...goodbye 'puter...ask my buddy...I warned him...gotta listen to the geek...

Nothing to do with knowing how to use it 'Drex; the problem with canned air is that it can contain trace amounts of oil. Won't hurt a computer, but a camera sensor..
Dammit! I used canned air to clean the mirror, going to check my camera when I get home.

I use canned air and microfiber lens cloth to clean my lenses...to clean the mirror, I use just the lens cloth...I have two of them...one for the mirror one for the lens...never switching between the two...

Most reactions

Back