"This one is nice! I will put it on your grave" (i.e., self portraits)

enzodm

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is what my wife told when she saw this self-portrait I did a couple of days ago. I had some nice light coming from a window with blinds, and i wanted to play with a Cyclop 85/1.5 manual focus, fixed aperture lens (from a russian military night viewer). Not easy to take self-portraits in such situation, but the movable screen of the Canon 60D can be flipped towards the front too. Camera on tripod, remote in my mind.

However, I somewhat prefer this one, light is less flat.

I think you win first prize for best thread title in the new year :lmao:

Unless your wife is from Sicily or owns a big shotgun...

The light is not that interesting in #1 but I prefer it too.

Thanks C., I suppose she will use it at my natural due date :)

By the way, the beast is this:

CanonCyclop.jpg

Have you prepaid your funeral? We have. I am supposed to make the boxes for our ashes this winter but so far have been uninspired.

I also prefer #1, your ear is cut off in #2 & I think there is too much differential lighting between the sides of your face.

is it a good or bad thing that your wife is already planning what she's going to put on your grave...

i'd me a little on guard for the next few weeks

:)

There are masculine poses and feminine poses.

Masculine poses are strong, and are meant to convey a sense of strength, resolve, forthrightness. Feminine poses convey softness, and a less structured approach to life.

Tilting the head towards the low shoulder is generally considered a feminine pose by the classical standards of portraiture.

Masculine poses are strong, and are meant to convey a sense of strength, resolve, forthrightness. Feminine poses convey softness, and a less structured approach to life.

Tilting the head towards the low shoulder is generally considered a feminine pose by the classical standards of portraiture.

By US or European standards. Just wondering.

In fact she prefers the first one because the other is too strong. ;)

Have you prepaid your funeral? We have. I am supposed to make the boxes for our ashes this winter but so far have been uninspired.

I also prefer #1, your ear is cut off in #2 & I think there is too much differential lighting between the sides of your face.

not yet: according to Italian life expectations, I have other 34 years to wait. At that time, this picture will be no more representative, but anyway :)

is it a good or bad thing that your wife is already planning what she's going to put on your grave...

i'd me a little on guard for the next few weeks

:)

I'm not worried, it is a joke she tells me also about her portraits. Current choice is this one. ;)

By US or European standards. Just wondering.

Very good point. There is plenty of machismo in Europe but it is not displayed quite the same way as in N. America. I enjoy shaking hands here knowing I'm not going to get my hand crushed by some idiot who thinks it is more manly... :lmao:

Alright, time to be honest...

It is not always easy to forget what you are used to and I sometimes wonder about the guys I'm shaking hand with when it's a bit limp... but then I get busy wondering how many times I'm supposed to kiss the women and, well, I forget about the guys :lmao:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back