This should be interesting..

My style is pretty clean and consistent for weddings. They know what to expect when hiring me for their wedding photographer. My business goals are being met and exceeded. On the personal photography side, this style is constantly evolving as I try to incorporate new ideas and techniques. I have been working on some new things lately that I am really infatuated with! I have to keep things new and fresh or I get bored, but I don't tend to bring these concepts over to the business side just because I don't want to mess with something that is truly working.

Style- I would call realist. Skill level - novice.

I like to throw money away and this seemed like a good way to do it.

Seriously though, I'm still in the exploring stage. I just started in January. I'm going through the different styles, and seeing what is gonna stick.

I can correctly expose in manual most of the time and am really keen on wildlife photography. In terms of style I am still learning it but I prefer whole animal shots with the subject shown only as part of the frame with plenty of habitat shown (usually following rule of thirds). A real weakness is my need to develop my post processing skills. A strength is that I know wildlife (background in zoology and plenty of time spent in the bush) which really helps in finding and predicting subjects.

I have a very simple style, which is reflected in the uncomplicated equipment and techniques I use, and straighforward approach I take. I like to get at the essence of a subject, or at least what I think is at the heart of the matter.

It seems I overlooked the skill part.

All film, which I send to labs to be developed: colour negative ~ confident; B&W negative ~ able; colour positive ~ so-so.

If you were to describe your style and skill as a photographer, what would you say and why? I'll go first... I don't yet have a style, still learning a lot about photography in general. I'm sure at some point it'll zero in on a particular way of doing things.. I'm still in school for it, so as for skill.. just a student. :)

Rate yourself in any way you feel is honest... (I know right? This is gonna be fun.. mwahahaha)

I don't know if this is classified as a style or not but when I take a photo I like to fill the frame with the image. I don't crop. I currently have over 13,000 photos and videos on my flickr pages however only a few are of people, just relatives and one dear friend. From that you may conclude that taking photos of people in places such as weddings, portraits, street photography, etc. is of no interest whatsoever to me. Landscapes don't do much for me either. They can be very pretty and interesting though. I have taken a few landscape shots and uploaded them but that's mostly because I wanted to shoot something and there weren't any animals about. FWIW I have thousands more to upload as well as many thousands more to take. I much prefer to photograph wildlife, museums, zoos and aquariums.

I don't consider myself an expert photographer however I have taken enough photos to consider myself an experienced photographer. Also I enjoy solving photographic problems. I have used Photoshop, DXO Optics Pro as well as Corel's Paintshop Pro. However I no longer use any of those apps. I just use Canon's DPP software. It gives me everything I need for still photos. I use Corel's Video Studio Pro X5 for my videos.

I think I'm above average in skill level however I know enough about photography to realize I still have a lot to learn. For example, I have no knowledge whatsoever of wireless flash usage, ring flash, etc. My knowledge of macro photography is limited. Maybe when I get too old and decrepit to travel about the country I'll get around to doing photography that doesn't require so much travel.

I would say simple and sweet. I don't like to get too complicated, I still want my photos to appear real. For skill I am still learning.. I am a forever learner! I don't think I will ever be able to say I am good, cuz I am constantly trying to make things better and learn new tricks! But I know how to shoot in manual and I will never go back to auto!

Well I've always aspired to have a "nostalgic" and "true vintage" style - lately I've received compliments that have commented on my "style" being specifically those two things. So I guess that's good :)

I'd say I know my camera well, but need to learn how to control light better.

I'm pretty damn good with PS too.

id say im around a 5 out of 10. I know the basics and genearlly can fix problems on the fly but still not at the level I want to be and still trying to soak in as much knowledge as I can. I still am shooting as much diffrent grouple of photography as I can to find out more of what I like to photo and what I don't. My main photography love would have to be automotive and I know my style in that. I prefer a darker moodier shot when possible, something more dramatic then what you'd find in an automotive flyer for some new car ad. I tend to want to stay more atristic then journalistic. the other side is people, I have simple editing with people, try not to overdo processing and keep things more journalistic then dramatic.

Journeyman photographer. I try to be proficient in all aspects (events/portraits/landscapes/action etc..) so I can be ready for any task that my job throws at me.

On a scale of 1 to Bill Cosby I give myself a "Green".

My style, I use available light indoors and out, rarely use a flash. I shoot tight, sometimes a little too tight. I'm consistent in whatever I shoot and always treat clients with professional respect. Based on my experience, and stacking myself up against many of the best sports photographers in the world, I can hold my own. My peers consider me one of the best, so that's good enough for me.

I started taking pix in 1969 / 70. Back in the stone age, we used to bulk load our film from old 35mm movie stock we bought from Freestyle. I remember buying WWII 4 x 5 glass plates from Freestyle that had expired decades before.

This was all before they had auto focus, auto exposure, shake control, on the fly ISO, live view and review. We had to frame, focus, guess at the exposure and bring home the image with one try many a time…that is documentary photography.

Where do I fit in? Maybe 8/10? (But for street and doc work only. I have little interest in studio work.) If someone says 7/10 for street, that is OK too. .

I remove cig butts that loo like dust spots in my photo. I get bored sometimes and will freak out an old shot by HDR'ing a 4 x 5 neg. I pretty much do what I did in the wet darkroom. Only now I do it with digital and just a little more.

I try to trash the majority of my work. I have little use for photos that are not museum quality, portfolio quality, iconic or something I'm proud to attach my name to. If it does not fit into one of those categories or something funny or of personal value...I trash it.

Nowadays my style is pretty much 95% color HDR hyper-real street. I still shoot a little BW digital and shoot some color and BW film, maybe 5% of the time. My old style was 98% BW film and 2% color film. But, just because a photo is turned to BW or freaked out with HDR, does not automatically make it a great photo.

Always remember...the image tells you what is best...not your ego.

For a contrast of my old and new style, do a Google image search for...

'Captain of Wall Street 9014'

'Makes Me Grateful for My Bed'

'Barroom Madonna'

'Carla and Babydoll'

'Pole Dancer Ross County Ohio'

The Barroom Madonna is an example of redoing an old image with some up to date digital tools. Since I am a documentary photog I try to keep things freaked out as little as possible. But as I said, I get bored easy and feel like playing around some days.

Nowadays, the biggest problem for me is; the people you meet on the street wont let me into their homes to shoot them. I like to get into people homes to document their life.

I shot the 'Captain' lit only by the window and one bare bulb on the ceiling. That is what 'available light' is to the doc photog.

'Carla and Babydoll' refused to take me home...but I still did OK for shooting her in 2 or 3 minutes. This is the halllmark of the street photog. They must produce on the spot.

'Poll Dancer Ross County Ohio' is one of my favs.(The online repro is crap.) Pole Dancer sums up my current style. But I must give credit to Les Krims...he taught me the style. So credit must be given to Les above all.

Documentary photography is the highest and most noble of all branches of photography. But street and documentary photography is also the least valued area of photography. You can see what a Cindy Sherman brings versus an honest street photogs work.

The doc photog does not have a cushy studio with a couch, fridge and A/C to work in. The doc photog does not have the benefit of professional models, an art director, assistants, secretary, makeup artists, hair artists, fixers, location managers and a truck load of strobes, cams, reflectors, diffusers, tripods and the rest.

The doc photog cannot rely on endless takes and retakes, post process artists and Photoshop levitation bull**** or star trails exposure timers to make the image. The doc tog must go far and away from home and comfort, whether freezing cold or boiling hot.

No matter what pestilence or disease is at hand. With bullets flying, bombs blasting, the doc photog goes out in the field and brings home the goods adopting the charge of the light brigade…

“Theirs not to reason why…theirs but to do or die.”

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/11/syria-in-ruins/100402/

I am proud to be following humbly in the footsteps of the greatest camera men and women on the planet…the documentary photographer.

Last edited:
My style, I use available light indoors and out, rarely use a flash. I shoot tight, sometimes a little too tight. I'm consistent in whatever I shoot and always treat clients with professional respect. Based on my experience, and stacking myself up against many of the best sports photographers in the world, I can hold my own. My peers consider me one of the best, so that's good enough for me.

Yes, available light! Love it!! (Most of the time.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back