Those of you who edit on a MAC computer

AmberNikol

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a question for you...and if someone on a PC wants to answer that's fine too.

I'm wondering, when I take my photos and someone wants a High Res CD of the images, how I can do that? Is there something that says copy in High Res?

What about Low Res? I'm kinda confused cause I think mine just says burn once I put the photos on the CD. I don't think it gives me an option...and I'm not sure if I'm doing it in high Res or Low Res....

so, are you shooting in RAW? are you converting from RAW to JPEG before burning? What program are you using for editing etc? Please advise, as I can help you, but need to know what methodology you are using to create and burn.

Thanks doubleoh7!

I shoot in Raw, and convert to JPEG. I use Aperture and Adobe Photoshop Elements 7 to edit.

I should have asked what OS you have. Nevertheless, if you insert your disc that you are burning to and then drag your folder with finished photos to the disc on the desktop it should copy direct with no reduction in quality.

Also I just went in to Iphoto and was able to burn direct, so the long route would be to cut and paste into Iphoto and burn that way. If it makes a difference I have 10.6.7 (snow leopard)

I understand how to copy them onto a CD...it was how do I know they are High Resolution verse low Res?

I understand how to copy them onto a CD...it was how do I know they are High Resolution verse low Res?

Just keep the resolution - there's no fixed resolutions for "high res" and "low res". Read it as "original resolution" versus "downsized resolution". So don't scale the images after you convert them, and they'll be high resolution.

It's only when you work with PDFs and such that "high" vs "low" resolution matters (high being over 300dpi usually, and "low" being below that, making it unsuitable for printing on a press).

Resolution is the pixel dimensions of the photo.

High-res generally means the client is getting images that have not had the original pixel dimensions reduced very much, if at all (like from aspect ratio cropping - 3:2 to a 5:4). Low-res means smaller pixel dimensions and the smaller a quality print can be made.

So if my camera makes full size photos that are 4288 px by 2848 px, that is high-res (except for minimal cropping for different aspect ratios). If I am selling a low-res image it will be a lot smaller like 600 px by 400 px.

IIRC, you shoot weddings? If so, I'm really surprised you don't already know this basic stuff.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back