thought id share

mommto3girls

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have only had my camera since April.. but i think i have gotten a few good shots.. whatcha think?:D

255062_221310967893955_221174701240915_804981_5069931_n.jpg
260296_221177734573945_221174701240915_803666_624943_n.jpg

260481_221177707907281_221174701240915_803665_4002798_n.jpg

248461_221174964574222_221174701240915_803635_2435549_n.jpg

I love 3 except for the cut off head.

You're not centering your subjects, which is good, and for the most part your focus is where it needs to be... but your composition could be improved. Assuming what you're aiming for here are better-than-average family photos, I have a couple suggestions for you:

1) This is kind of a wierd crop to me, and I feel like if it was a landscape orientation and not quite so tight, it would have been a better shot. Having both heads cut off in uncomfortable places is off-putting. This one does feel a bit soft to me as well, so since it looks like you were indoors, the shutter speed may have been a teensy bit low to be hand-held, and/or the focus may have fallen in front of them a touch.

2) Focus is on the eye, which is great! The thing that stands out to me in this picture is the "racoon" eye, which is caused by harsh light coming from above the brow and putting the eye in shadow. This is the kind of thing that's hard to learn to pay attention to at first, and then once you realize it's there it kind of cuts down on when and where you're willing to shoot photos. It can be reduced with the aid of fill-flash or reflectors, but if you're not that far along in your photography journey yet I wouldn't worry about it too much... but it's good to recognize that it's there.

3) Again, the eyes are in nice sharp focus - great job! The angle is not helpful though... it weights the photo down to the bottom right and makes it feel a bit dizzy. Angles always imply motion, which I'm not sure you were going for here.

4) To tell you the truth, I'm not fond of this one. It is the softest (meaning, most out-of-focus) of the ones you posted, and since the flowers that are closets to being in-focus are cut off at the edges of the photo, it takes some of the impact away - kind of like in #1.

Overall, all of these shots could be improved by backing up just a bit. I think you're off to a great start though, and I hope you keep shooting! Your kids are adorable!

You're not centering your subjects, which is good, and for the most part your focus is where it needs to be... but your composition could be improved. Assuming what you're aiming for here are better-than-average family photos, I have a couple suggestions for you:

1) This is kind of a wierd crop to me, and I feel like if it was a landscape orientation and not quite so tight, it would have been a better shot. Having both heads cut off in uncomfortable places is off-putting. This one does feel a bit soft to me as well, so since it looks like you were indoors, the shutter speed may have been a teensy bit low to be hand-held, and/or the focus may have fallen in front of them a touch.

2) Focus is on the eye, which is great! The thing that stands out to me in this picture is the "racoon" eye, which is caused by harsh light coming from above the brow and putting the eye in shadow. This is the kind of thing that's hard to learn to pay attention to at first, and then once you realize it's there it kind of cuts down on when and where you're willing to shoot photos. It can be reduced with the aid of fill-flash or reflectors, but if you're not that far along in your photography journey yet I wouldn't worry about it too much... but it's good to recognize that it's there.

3) Again, the eyes are in nice sharp focus - great job! The angle is not helpful though... it weights the photo down to the bottom right and makes it feel a bit dizzy. Angles always imply motion, which I'm not sure you were going for here.

4) To tell you the truth, I'm not fond of this one. It is the softest (meaning, most out-of-focus) of the ones you posted, and since the flowers that are closets to being in-focus are cut off at the edges of the photo, it takes some of the impact away - kind of like in #1.

Overall, all of these shots could be improved by backing up just a bit. I think you're off to a great start though, and I hope you keep shooting! Your kids are adorable!

Thanks for all your suggestions.. and i was just editing pics and noticed the shadow over the eyes and i dont like it.. but im also new to editing so i dont know editing that great yet either:( but i downloaded photoshop CS5 to try it before i buy it but some of it seems foreign to me..lol I can only manage the actions right now... And im not far along in my photography im just learning..

Might want to change your signature in the photos to "Alyssa Photos" and not "photo's". One photo, two photos. The apostrophe is not needed, seems many people always put one before an "s" in all words!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back