Thoughts on Ken Rockwell

I eat Balut when I was kid living with my parents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_(egg)

Its pretty good actually.. (at least by childhood memory) Just don't try to microwave it without cracking it first. What a mess!

I tried it recently.... (more than 15 years have passed) for some reason I couldn't stomach it.

I was outside the Dallas/Ft Worth area at some cross-roads little town. It was around lunchtime so I found this diner along the road. Being young and broke, I chose the lunch special for a couple of bucks. As I was half-way through my meal, the very friendly waitress came to refill my glass of tea. When asked how was everything, I complimented her on the taste and portion size of the plate in front of me. Before she could spin away to another customer, I had to ask.

"Ma'am, where exactly do "Calf Fries" come from off the cow?"

She smacked the wad of gum of couple of times that had been resting on the inside of her cheek while waiting on me, and said with the sweestest twang in her voice.... I swear to god...... "Well, sir....... that's the part of the bull that makes him a ster" (I spelt it like she pronounced it).

I looked at my plate, then looked back at her, shrugged my shoulders and said "Taste great, thanks."

From Ken Rockwell's web site: About KenRockwell.com

[SIZE=+2]Introduction[/SIZE] This website is my way of giving back to our community. It is a work of fiction, entirely the product of my own imagination. This website is my personal opinion. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To use words of Ansel Adams on page 193 of his autobiography, this site is my "aggressive personal opinion," and not a "logical presentation of fact."​
[/FONT]​

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
My thoughts on Ken Rockwell. He ain't no Norman Rockwell, that's for sure.

I tried it recently.... (more than 15 years have passed) for some reason I couldn't stomach it.

One night I ate 2 of them. Then the next morning I ordered to runny scrambled eggs for breakfast, as was my habit at the time. I took a look at those eggs, had a flashback to the balut filled night and started gagging. Couldn't touch those eggs that morning. I think that was maybe the last time I ate balut.
I do like the juice ( blood ) in the egg though. I tastes like chicken soup. :))

Sorry OP to derail the thread a little.

Sooooo, which would you rather have to digest? A plate with four balut eggs (developing chicken inside and egg), or four pages of Ken Rockwell writings????

Hmm. that's a hard one!

I'm probably leaning towards Balut. Its food.. providing life. Ken's writings for the most part kills brain cells.

In all honesty... if the guy can make a living from his writings all the more power to him.

Sooooo, which would you rather have to digest? A plate with four balut eggs (developing chicken inside and egg), or four pages of Ken Rockwell writings????

I'm afraid much of Rockwell's stuff is like corn that's already been through the cow.

"Thoughts on Ken Rockwell"

My thoughts are I think he was on a bike in front of me at the Tail of The Dragon in TN, and he should really learn to ride plus buy something other than a crappy Hardley-Ableson bike that won't handle the twisties.

med_gallery_985_801_413117-599x399.jpg

Sorry OP to derail the thread a little.
Food is my other passion so I don't mind one but that this thread has moved in that direction :)

Ken Rockwell is a guy that really really knows how to market himself (or rather his website) ever so well!
I mean heck its full of - please click the ads and looks like it was made years ago by a kid - and yet - everyone knows and talks about him. It's not as if his reviews are anything special, since most are focused really only on his viewpoint and shooting style (eg he hates tripods ;)) rather than a more generalist view of the gear - and his photos - eh I've never really seen anyone talking about his photography.

US consumer (typical) are not savvy consumers (lets just avoid discussion about the "why"). Ken's website (much like most marketing material here) is popular because they simplify or dummify the whole purchasing experience.

In the eyes of the typical US consumer, the perfect resource would be a spreadsheet

product A (buy/do not buy)
product B (buy/do not buy)
product N (buy/do not buy)

Goes the same for horsepower, megapixels, and such.... a single number rating is about all the consumer can process.

Way to bring it back on topic. :)
I don't mind Ken. I still go to his what's new page once in a while. He does take a decent amount of time doing some of his lens comparisons, all free to me.

I know of Ken Rockwell the engineer that reviews camera technology but I have never heard of Ken Rockwell the photographer.

Most reactions

Back