Thoughts on the iPhone 4S camera?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by jdong217, Mar 2, 2012.

1. jdong217

jdong217 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I just got the 4S and I wasn't sure what to expect from the camera. I'm really enjoying it though. No longer planning on picking up a P&S in addition to my dslr. A shot from tonight

$photo-3.jpg

There's a fair amount of noise but I didn't bother with any noise reduction. It's obviously no dSLR but for the 75% of the time when I don't feel like lugging around a dslr, this will most definitely do

2. thereyougo!

thereyougo! TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    It can do some handy shots, quite a bit of noise in difficult light but some surprisingly good stuff too. This pano was shot with iphone4S which I then processed in CS5 knitting them in CS5

[​IMG]
    Panoramic Langdale on an iphone bw! by singingsnapper, on Flickr

3. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The point and shoot will be dead within a decade.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kendustin

Kendustin TPF Noob!

There is no doubts regarding quality of iPhone 4s camera. I have got this and I can guarantee that this camera is delivering superb quality same as 8 mega pixels or 10 mega pixels of other brands phone. Just try it out..

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  5. DiskoJoe

DiskoJoe Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i would hope the camera is as good a a p&s. It sure cost more then one does now. You can get a decent p&s for less then $100 online now.

6. Gaerek

Gaerek No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The point and shoot is already in it's death throws. Top end smart phone cameras have 80-100% of the quality of most P&S cameras, they're more convenient and user friendly, and they have nearly instant access to social networking. Not to mention all the other benefits such as geotagging and the ability to do editing right in camera.

My phone is always with me, which means I always have a camera with me. There's no need to purchase a separate P&S when I have something nearly as good in a few areas, and better in many areas.

Let's see, for $100, I get:

A camera

For $200, I get:

A camera
    Ability to edit photos I just took
    Ability to upload photos I just took
    Ability to share photos instantly
    All in a package smaller than most P&S cameras that cost $100

Oh, I forgot a couple other things you get too:
    A phone!
    The ability to text message
    The abilty to browse the Internet
    Check Social Networking sites
    Email
    Games
    The list goes on...

Considering I'm going to be paying for a data/voice plan whether my phone has a camera or not, you are getting way more bang for your buck with a smart phone than with a stand alone P&S camera. I wouldn't have said this, even 2 years ago, but the engineers working on cameras in phones are really stepping up their game. There's just no real comparison.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  7. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Will Sony be making cameras that long ?

• Like Like x 1
  8. MLeeK

MLeeK TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think he's right.

I have heard tell it's a pretty sweet camera. I know the one on my Droid sucks monkey balls-really bad. Total disappointment. I'd rather have my phone than a point and shoot. Of course, I'd rather have an iPhone than a Droid but my bank account tells me I am delusional too.

I have had people tell me that the new 4s is a bit delicate/breakable compared to older/other phones. how does it feel to you? I know my droid has been indestructable and I am impressed (it's about the only thing impressive about the damn thing.) My grand daughter has thrown it against the concrete floors MANY times. No chip,crack, break, shatter...

9. EchoingWhisper

EchoingWhisper TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Phone cameras currently have an average of 50% of the size of point and shoot cameras, which makes them have 50% image quality of point and shoot cameras, and not to say the lens factor, which point and shoots are much better.

10. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My local vendor is feeling the "hit" on the low end point and shoot cameras . Entry level p&s are the ones that are the hardest hit. Frankly I haven't used my p&s in a long time, but the Iphone is great fun and very freeing, altho, i can't remember when I last used it to make a phone call.

I use an Olympus pen 3 as my point and shoot, when I don't what to carry around the d700, but the phone is a great back up when I just don't want to carry around anything (at least slung around my shoulder.)

11. Vipor

Vipor TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Agreed. My iPhone4 is with me at ALL times. I have a P&S but I use it only when it is a planned event. My phones camera comes in handy during those impromptu moments (ooo, let me take a pic of it so that I can remember when I get home)... those moments. :p

12. iKokomo

iKokomo TPF Noob!

I am impressed though with the quality of my 4s camera though! I remember when phone cameras were awful;)
    Another thing that an smartphone is good for is automatic cloud upload.
    I take a picture with my 4s, it uploads to my cloud, which automatically downloads to my computers and iPad without me even doing a thing.