Thoughts on these Manfrotto tripods

batmura

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a D3100 with the 18-55mm kit lens. I am going to buy my first tripod to use during my travels. I am looking for something that's not too heavy and can easily fit in my medium-sized backpack.

Any feedback on the following Manfrotto tripods is greatly appreciated:

- Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod
- Manfrotto 294 Aluminum 3-Section Tripod with 804RC2 head
- Manfrotto MKC3-H01 Tripod Kit

At this point I'm torn between the 294 and MKC3 because the 190 comes without a head and would be out of my price range. I'll be using the tripod for cityscape/landscape/architecture when I'm travelling. I'd like to know if the head for the 294 is good enough and if it can be changed in the future. I'm interested in the MKC3 because it's small and reasonably priced.

I have a D3100 with the 18-55mm kit lens. I am going to buy my first tripod to use during my travels. I am looking for something that's not too heavy and can easily fit in my medium-sized backpack.

Any feedback on the following Manfrotto tripods is greatly appreciated:

- Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod
- Manfrotto 294 Aluminum 3-Section Tripod with 804RC2 head
- Manfrotto MKC3-H01 Tripod Kit

At this point I'm torn between the 294 and MKC3 because the 190 comes without a head and would be out of my price range. I'll be using the tripod for cityscape/landscape/architecture when I'm travelling. I'd like to know if the head for the 294 is good enough and if it can be changed in the future. I'm interested in the MKC3 because it's small and reasonably priced.

I wish I could tell you more about the other 2, but I am not familiar with them. I own the 190XPROB and I can tell you that it is an excellent tripod. You can buy it in a kit that includes the head for about $200, maybe a bit more. If that is too much, I would wait before buying a low end tripod because over time a better one will last longer.

I wish I could tell you more about the other 2, but I am not familiar with them. I own the 190XPROB and I can tell you that it is an excellent tripod. You can buy it in a kit that includes the head for about $200, maybe a bit more. If that is too much, I would wait before buying a low end tripod because over time a better one will last longer.
Agreed. I have a190CXPROB (the carbon fiber version) as well as a 190XB and really like them both. Very well made and stable.

I have the second one and it is well built. I was able to compare the top two side by side where I bought mine. I wound up with the second one because I wanted the extra ht. I will probably get the top one too because I want the swing arm. Also check out Vanguard tripods I like their version of the top one.The head on the second one is sufficient for my needs right now.I pack mine without the handles on it to save space.Don't throw the plastic handle holder out until you decide how you will pack yours. I keep the head in a Crown Royal cloth bag.I have a few of them ;).

I have a 190XPROB..... well worth the money.

carbon 055CXPRO3, and love it!

for my 70-200 I opted for a head that handles 11 pounds if i'm not mistaken. That head will hold your stuff, but its on the edge which may reduce stability.

yeah, you'll have a lot more than that body and kits lens in due time, get a decent tripod and ballhead the first time. don't screw up like i did =)

Most reactions

Back