IMG_1900.JPG
IMG_1888.JPG
IMG_1889.JPG
IMG_1896.JPG
IMG_1899.JPG
IMG_1897.JPG

Took these this weekend. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the last black one, you have to remember to increase your exposure by a 1/2 to 1 stop, so you can get more detail in the dogs face. That is my only thought.

It may help to number them, keep the amount to 3, and be specific with your questions. Example would be... in image #1, I was trying to get the whole wild weed in focus but I see the front and back parts are out of focus and it looks weird to me. Suggestions would be appreciated. In image #2, overall I like this image but I want it to be a stronger image overall, please advise.

On the last black one, you have to remember to increase your exposure by a 1/2 to 1 stop, so you can get more detail in the dogs face. That is my only thought.

It may help to number them, keep the amount to 3, and be specific with your questions. Example would be... in image #1, I was trying to get the whole wild weed in focus but I see the front and back parts are out of focus and it looks weird to me. Suggestions would be appreciated. In image #2, overall I like this image but I want it to be a stronger image overall, please advise.

Got it. Definitely helps. Thanks!

These look like a great start! I like the colors in the color shots (maybe a touch oversaturated); like JC said, the black and white shots look a little underexposed.

One thing that many people, including myself, need to improve on is composition. I'd suggest looking at pictures that you personally find appealing of the same subjects you took, and then see how that photographer composed the image compared to how you composed the image. What did they do differently than you? Would you do anything different from them?

For the last image, I did a quick edit on my phone. I changed the composition (via cropping) and brightened the foreground significantly. I've also added a slight coloring to it (which looked good on my phone at the time, but not sure how it'll look on a monitor).

BW-Dog.jpg

These look like a great start! I like the colors in the color shots (maybe a touch oversaturated); like JC said, the black and white shots look a little underexposed.

One thing that many people, including myself, need to improve on is composition. I'd suggest looking at pictures that you personally find appealing of the same subjects you took, and then see how that photographer composed the image compared to how you composed the image. What did they do differently than you? Would you do anything different from them?

For the last image, I did a quick edit on my phone. I changed the composition (via cropping) and brightened the foreground significantly. I've also added a slight coloring to it (which looked good on my phone at the time, but not sure how it'll look on a monitor).

View attachment 161801

I like it! It definitely puts more focus on the pup than anything else. I’ll have to keep that in mind. I’m new to editing photos and only been taking pictures for the last couple years or so so still learning a lot.

Well, welcome to the forum! Keep shooting and keep posting! We love to see pictures on here. :)

I agree the exposure looks a little off in the B&W photos, especially the first one of those. What I find is that I may need to frame lower to meter the scene so the meter is reading the light where the subject is, then reframe. What I think happens is the meter was reading that light coming in from the background sky and adjusted for that. Not sure why it's off in the first one of the dog, it just looks a little dark but could be adjusted.

I think you're on the right track, and next time think about where you're placing the subject, and your vantage point. Power lines are always a PITA and this isn't bad, next time you might want to move the truck and/or yourself a little. If you're going to 'keep' the power lines, think about where you want them in your composition.

What bugs me is that clump of whatever sticking up... lol. With the last one you could crop the bottom a little, and I noticed the sky was getting interesting so I'd maybe want to see a little more of that. For the second one, I'd rethink where to park the truck to keep that clump out of the frame. Or take along a weedwhacker! lol (or not, then you'd still have a smaller bit of whatever it is!).

I like the interesting angle in the first one of the truck, that got the sky included nicely. The first one of the flower might be better with depth of field not quite so shallow (not such a large aperture setting) and maybe framed a little tighter. Watch the sides/corners when you're framing; I'd probably crop that right side to get that edge of a leaf out of the photo.

I agree the color is a little saturated, so I'd keep working on proper exposures. I'd also keep in mind your vantage point; with the first one of the dog it would help when you're framing to keep moving a little til you get the grasses framing the dog so they aren't directly across the face and that light gray blob is not in view. I think on your phone Wade that got a little too light although it needed to be brightened up; I think that one's going to take some adjustments in post on a computer since there's contrast with a black dog and grasses in sunlight.

Well, welcome to the forum! Keep shooting and keep posting! We love to see pictures on here. :)

IMG_1901.JPG
how does this look? I cropped it a bit to kind of get rid of unnecessary background and lightened it up a bit.

I agree the exposure looks a little off in the B&W photos, especially the first one of those. What I find is that I may need to frame lower to meter the scene so the meter is reading the light where the subject is, then reframe. What I think happens is the meter was reading that light coming in from the background sky and adjusted for that. Not sure why it's off in the first one of the dog, it just looks a little dark but could be adjusted.

I think you're on the right track, and next time think about where you're placing the subject, and your vantage point. Power lines are always a PITA and this isn't bad, next time you might want to move the truck and/or yourself a little. If you're going to 'keep' the power lines, think about where you want them in your composition.

What bugs me is that clump of whatever sticking up... lol. With the last one you could crop the bottom a little, and I noticed the sky was getting interesting so I'd maybe want to see a little more of that. For the second one, I'd rethink where to park the truck to keep that clump out of the frame. Or take along a weedwhacker! lol (or not, then you'd still have a smaller bit of whatever it is!).

I like the interesting angle in the first one of the truck, that got the sky included nicely. The first one of the flower might be better with depth of field not quite so shallow (not such a large aperture setting) and maybe framed a little tighter. Watch the sides/corners when you're framing; I'd probably crop that right side to get that edge of a leaf out of the photo.

I agree the color is a little saturated, so I'd keep working on proper exposures. I'd also keep in mind your vantage point; with the first one of the dog it would help when you're framing to keep moving a little til you get the grasses framing the dog so they aren't directly across the face and that light gray blob is not in view. I think on your phone Wade that got a little too light although it needed to be brightened up; I think that one's going to take some adjustments in post on a computer since there's contrast with a black dog and grasses in sunlight.

Okay cool! Yeah I wasn’t able to remove the plant in the truck photo because the farmer who planted the field was standing beside me but I should have just moved it. And the first dog pic she was running through the grass so I was having trouble getting some without it in the way lol but hey you live and learn!

Blowing out your highlights and blocking in your blacks are signs of improper exposure. Shoot on manual exp and if you are not comfortable with blending three or more images (brights +1, darks -1 and middle grays as metered), then meter to the mid-darks and you should get a reasonable even playing field.

Blowing out your highlights and blocking in your blacks are signs of improper exposure. Shoot on manual exp and if you are not comfortable with blending three or more images (brights +1, darks -1 and middle grays as metered), then meter to the mid-darks and you should get a reasonable even playing field.

IMG_1901.JPG

This was my result from the other comments above. I think my computer screen was so bright it didn’t look that dark to me when editing. Thanks for your feedback!

My first impression is that all the shots seem to have the subject centered in the frame. I think you have room to try some cropping to see if you like some of the images better by trying to move the placement of the subject in relation to the edges of the frame.

I really like how the clouds are sort of framing the truck in the second image, but I feel like there is too much room behind the truck - and the row of plants are leading my eye away down the track and away from the truck, not to it. The front of the truck is also relatively close to the edge of the frame on the right, crowding it a bit - cropping the row of plants on the left and half the sky that is above the truck would be something I would try. Just something to think about because if you like it then next time out you can frame that shot that way in the camera.

Most reactions

Back