Three for C&C Please

bentcountershaft

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm hoping to get some feedback on my progress. I bought my T1i back in December and have taken a little under 7000 shots with it so far. I feel I'm improving but would like some out side opinions. Thanks for looking.

img5242a.jpg

Exif:
Camera Model: Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Image Date: 2010:04:12 20:29:39
Focal Length: 24.0mm
Aperture: f/2.8
Exposure Time: 0.010 s (1/100)
ISO equiv: 3200
Exposure Bias: none
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No
Color Space: sRGB

img6390b.jpg

Exif:
Image Date: 2010:05:08 13:50:40
Focal Length: 70.0mm
Aperture: f/3.2
Exposure Time: 0.017 s (1/60)
ISO equiv: 100

img5285a2sat.jpg

Exif:
Image Date: 2010:04:14 05:40:03
Focal Length: 25.0mm
Aperture: f/11.0
Exposure Time: 15.000 s

Nice pictures there!
#1 It's got too much dark. It doesn't even make any sense IMHO. Maybe cropping of the dark should improve it. Though the subject isn't that catchy.
#2 Great "industrial" macro here!(even though it probably isn't 1:1). Very sharp and the B&W is a good choice here. I would recommend cutting off the top right corner, because it's not in focus.
#3 This picture deserves some praise! The only thing I could mention is having maybe more sky. Also next time try HDR to get the shore in exposure range.
Cheers

1. way too dark
2. Love it - good choice going monochrome, might even look good as Lomo style too
3. Wow! love the colors in this one. Can you crop or clone out the boat house on the left?

I like the boat house in #3, but the trash in the left foreground is distracting. The centered horizon isn't your best friend either.

Nice photos.

#1 I find a bit too dark, especially at the top of the stairs.

#2 is my favorite. :thumbup: I love monochrome art work... If it's the correct "look". You nailed it! Good work.

#3 Is very good as well... the colors are great...

I too like the third, and would like to see a different crop... but what I suggest is cropping out the top half of the sky. This will achieve two things: 1) Move the horizon line further up in the frame, away from center. 2) Eliminate the really saturated, very bright blues from the composition that are drawing the eye up and out of the frame. The posts will be where the eye settles.

Very nice!

-Pete

Thanks for all the responses. On number 3 I actually took some shots like was suggested, I'll process them real quick to see what you guys think.

OK, first the one with more sky. This is more of what I had in mind before I got there that morning, but the poles got my attention and getting their reflection became more of a priority. I still tried it though a few minutes after the first one, but the light wasn't quite as it was much brighter by that point.

img5362amoresky.jpg

Exif:
Camera Maker: Canon
Image Date: 2010:04:14 06:10:13
Focal Length: 43.0mm
Aperture: f/22.0
Exposure Time: 0.400 s (1/3)

Now, the more water and no boat. I like this shot a lot and wish I had taken it much earlier. Eventually I'll go back for a reshoot if the weather ever shapes up.

img5379amorewater.jpg

Exif:
Camera Maker: Canon
Image Date: 2010:04:14 06:16:32
Focal Length: 43.0mm
Aperture: f/22.0
Exposure Time: 0.300 s (1/3)

As far as the first two shots in the first post, I'm pretty happy with them. The first one is intentionally dark. I wanted to walk from darkness into light and I liked the idea of walking down to do that. I wish I had followed the angle of the top rail though, having the camera position slightly higher.

The second shot was just a bit of luck. I walked past it and it caught my eye. I saw it and knew in two seconds what I wanted to do with it. I couldn't decide if I liked the top corner being in the shot or not and I'm still undecided. Oh, and it's a link in a tank's drive track in case anyone was wondering.

Thanks again for all the responses, it's been helpful. I'm commonly guilty of horizons at center point so this definitely helps reinforce that to me.

img5242a.jpg

You lost the leading lines of the hand rails and this would have looked really cool with speedlight under the stairs. Take control of the light.

img5242a.jpg

img6390b.jpg

Most people like a fair amount of contrast and a strong main subject.

img6390b.jpg

img5285a2sat.jpg

and I liked the abstract feel of this version but didn't fix the sensor dust bunnies:

img5379amorewater.jpg

I like the idea behind #3 edit Keith, but I think you lost the transition of sunset colors on the water, which to me, were quite nice. Also some lost definition in the opposite shoreline trees, but more importantly, the lights of civilization across the water. They added impact and let my eyes wander further through the image.

#1 was a gone-er anyway, but I like the what you did in #2. A bit more touch of the blacks wouldn't have hurt. :thumbsup:

I like the idea behind #3 edit Keith, but I think you lost the transition of sunset colors on the water, which to me, were quite nice. Also some lost definition in the opposite shoreline trees, but more importantly, the lights of civilization across the water. They added impact and let my eyes wander further through the image.

#1 was a gone-er anyway, but I like the what you did in #2. A bit more touch of the blacks wouldn't have hurt. :thumbsup:
I went for more abstract and burned the tree line. It was a quick edit on a 3 inch wide image more to illustrate an idea than anything else. Actually, I wanted to crop right at the top of the highest pole, to lose that thin white line. ;)

Thanks for taking the time to do those KmH. I agree on the first one, should have followed the rail. I'll get around to getting a flash eventually. Still trying to learn how to get one exposure decent before I confuse myself with flash. The second one you did I really like. I'm too used to overdoing it on contrast so occasionally I'll overcompensate and be too conservative. The subtle boost helps. The third I don't like as much, but I did try this:

img5285a4.jpg

Funny about the dust bunnies, this day of shooting was the first time I had noticed any in my images, so this marked the first time I did a sensor cleaning. I'm glad they didn't show up in the lower light shots. This edit shows my burned pixel a little more prominently than normal though. Thanks again.

I just wanted to say that your firs timage is very bad for a durnk person to look at...

I almost fell down your stairs just looking at it. thank you. i appreciate it :) Bent. hah :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back