Thump, thump, thump... Is this thing on?

Pixeldawg1

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Greetings one and all,

I was on a different forum that had some incredibly rude people and I've just had enough, so TPF was recommended to me and here I am.

I am Mark Lent and have worked in photography for abut 39 years- mostly as a photojournalist but now teach photography at the largest foreign language university in China, called Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University and it is located in Suzhou, China. Suzhou is located about 55 miles from Shanghai and is a scant 24 minute trip on the bullet trains, if it's a non-stop. It is known as the "Venice of the East" because of the many canals and is some 2,500 years old. It also has the distinction of having more UNESCO World Heritage Sites than any other city. A cool place to live.

Photographically, I worked for very small newspapers to very large newspapers, a few magazines and some larger media companies. Multimedia, New York Times, Scripps-Howard and a few others. I also wrote for Popular Photography and Imaging as well as the Adorama Learning Center. I also did a significant amount of work for the AP and participated in the "Year in the Life of Photojournalism", which was a groundbreaking "blog" that I and several other photographers were involved in when the internet was young and fresh. In that site, we strived to show the difference between community photojournalism and the Paparazzi, which was a hot topic with the death of Princess Dianna at that time.

My photographic interests include a bit of everything, but lately I am into shooting "blue hour" images as well as those photos of Chinese and Asian culture that you don't see in the magazines. Regular people doing regular things.

Equipment-wise, I am a Nikon guy and currently use a Z7 with lenses from 14mm to 500mm plus flash and both strobe and LED lights. I love the Z7 and think it is one of the finest cameras I have ever used. I also shot with a Pentax LX and collect (mostly) antique cameras, which I have some 80 of them in my work office. Everything from 1850s to 2020.

Anyway, this is me. I appreciate being here and hope that at some point I can contribute to the general discussions here. Looking forward to the banter! :)

Cordially,

Mark

Hello Space Face. I see you're from the UK. My school is run by Liverpool University. Thank you for the note!

We're doing well here.

The wildlife has always wanted at least a couple meters distancing so in that front......all normal :345:

I remember Shanghai well. Last time I was there, they were having a Reeb sponsored festival at the waterfront.......or maybe I was drunk. Either way, I've never had a bad time in China.

@zombiesniper , I recently purchased a 200-500 in hopes of capturing more wildlife, but I fail as a wildlife photographer, much as I try. Give me a good car wreck, and I am all over it, but shots of Bambi, and I suck. Hope I can get some tips. And Shanghai is magnificent. My favorite city behind Florence. Italy. Just a wonderful place.

Hello Space Face. I see you're from the UK. My school is run by Liverpool University. Thank you for the note!

Thankfully, I'm a good bit away from Liverpool. I do not have a good experiences of the city nor the the people from there.

Ha! Have never been there, but I hear the football team isn't too bad. When I was a kid, we lived in Holland and would take the ship across the channel and then a train into London for the day. Loved it. A couple of years ago, I was in Scotland and thought it was truly God's own country. Such a pretty place. Glasgow, Edinburgh, Sterling and a smaller town that I can't recall the name of at the moment. Lovely place.

Ha! Have never been there, but I hear the football team isn't too bad. When I was a kid, we lived in Holland and would take the ship across the channel and then a train into London for the day. Loved it. A couple of years ago, I was in Scotland and thought it was truly God's own country. Such a pretty place. Glasgow, Edinburgh, Sterling and a smaller town that I can't recall the name of at the moment. Lovely place.

I'm in Scotland, been here all my life. Apart from the SNP, it's wonderful place to live:D

...................PS I'm a bit north of them places you mention.

Ah, I envy you. My (now former) Dean is a Scotsman. I even took a photo of the good general with the traffic cone on his head in Glasgow.

Ah, I envy you. My (now former) Dean is a Scotsman. I even took a photo of the good general with the traffic cone on his head in Glasgow.

Yeah, that was a student prank and funny about 50 years ago:D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back