Tiffen Polorizer. Decrease sharpness?

feRRari4756

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys just yesterday I bought a Tiffen Polorizer at the B and H store in NYC and just now i read how a cheap Tiffen UV filter greatly decreased the clarity of an L lens.

So my question is, is the filter I bought --> Tiffen | 67mm Circular Polarizing Glass Filter | 67CP | B&H

of the same quality and will also reduce sharpness?

I thought it was a good once since it had good reivews.

thanks

Try it and find out. Generally most cheaper non multicoated filters will reduce quality somewhat, some far worse than others, and polarisers are not cheap, especially good ones.

You may not even notice.

ok man thanks Ill let you know. i post up some side by side shots.

if this does reduce clarity, what polorizer do you guys reccomend that I get? I need a 67mm

The Hoya S-HMC line of filters are excellent. However, the S-HMC polarizers are thin mounts and as a result don't have filter threads on the front, so you can't use your normal lens cap. It does come with a push-on cap though.

Okay AWsome maybe I'll buy one of them. Out of the two that I posted, which kne is better? And why?

So all the hoya HMC's are very good, even if I find an older used one?

Okay AWsome maybe I'll buy one of them. Out of the two that I posted, which kne is better? And why?

I would get the Hoya Super Multicoated (S-HMC) one. It has more coatings than the regular HMC filters do, which further reduces flare and ghosting. Oddly the S-HMC is a few dollars cheaper than the HMC at B&H.

Yes, you can check out used ones. Just be sure to verify that's it's at least multicoated. Like I said though, I would stick with the S-HMC line.

Don't get cheap with your filters. ;)

Indeed. We've seen some good links recently explaining how poor quality filters drastically affect image quality. Makes me glad I spent the extra bucks on the good ones.

i took shots shots and zoomed in 200% with and without the polarizer and i didnt notice ANY sharpness decrease. idk why lol maybe the reviews are actually true on this thing.

i may post some 200% crop shots up here side by side to see what you guys think.

but also, do muliticoated hoyas and stuff reduce even more of the glare than my cheaper tiffen would? like my tiffen reduces at least 50-60% of the glare. do the expensive hoyas remove even more?

The Hoya S-HMC line of filters are excellent. However, the S-HMC polarizers are thin mounts and as a result don't have filter threads on the front, so you can't use your normal lens cap. It does come with a push-on cap though.

Depends on the lenscap. Mine seems to stay on securely but only just. It definitely is not as tight as with other filters.

Hoya Multi Coat, Super Hoya Multi Coat. It's just two different lines of products. The SHMC is slightly better reducing more glare and giving better quality construction.

i took shots shots and zoomed in 200% with and without the polarizer and i didnt notice ANY sharpness decrease. idk why lol maybe the reviews are actually true on this thing.

i may post some 200% crop shots up here side by side to see what you guys think.

but also, do muliticoated hoyas and stuff reduce even more of the glare than my cheaper tiffen would? like my tiffen reduces at least 50-60% of the glare. do the expensive hoyas remove even more?

Tiffens are multicoated? Who knew. I would seem to think that anything is better than Tiffens but I may be wrong. Definitely Hoys SHMCs are right up there with the best.

Also sharpness and glare are not the only quality indicators with polarisers. A good polariser should also be thing, AND consistent. The Hoya SHMC has a far better polarising plate in it than the Hoya standard filters giving you a stronger effect.

Don't get cheap with your filters. ;)
This.

Any piece of glass that you put in front of your lens will degrade the quality of the resulting images. If you are using an L lens, a cheap filter will be the weaker link in the chain. Some filters will degrade the quality more noticeably than others. You get what you pay for. Buy the best filter(s) you can afford –you only want to use the glass that will degrade the image the least.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back