Tiger shots from the zoo

c_pass

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The zoo was alot of fun and I got these shots of the tigers... I shot thru the glass they had up

f5cdb7f4.jpg

7af020cc.jpg

a16e26ef.jpg

Thanks for pointing that out... I surely didn't think about getting the reflection in that shot... thanks!!!

For through the glass shots these are fantastic! VERY nice captures. I will nit pick them just to have a little more to say. The first one you clipped the edge of his ear. The second one could use that foreground branch cloned out. The last one would have been perfect if you had gotten the full reflection in, however that is the best of the bunch, and that is saying a lot since the first two are so great!

Thanks for pointing that out... I surely didn't think about getting the reflection in that shot... thanks!!!

Always study the shot before you shoot

This is usually a fantastic idea. However, with a tiger, in a zoo, you can't exactly tell him, "Oh hold it there while I study this shot" lol But definitely learn to look for different shots as fast as you can. And turn the camera is a quick way to change the feeling of the shot and should be done on a regular basis. I have trouble myself of "Seeing" the shot. I am a terrible photographer. I need to work on studying the shot before I pull the trigger as well...

The others have covered just about everything I would have said as far as nitpicking, I just wanted to say I like 'em. I may be biased though.:D

For through the glass shots these are fantastic! VERY nice captures. I will nit pick them just to have a little more to say. The first one you clipped the edge of his ear. The second one could use that foreground branch cloned out. The last one would have been perfect if you had gotten the full reflection in, however that is the best of the bunch, and that is saying a lot since the first two are so great!

Thanks!!!!

Nice shots, may just have to do a little more in Post Processing to bring it out etc. Here is a quick play of one of them.
-
a16e26ef2.jpg

-
Shoot well and thanks for sharing, Joe

Nice shots, may just have to do a little more in Post Processing to bring it out etc. Here is a quick play of one of them.

YES, what you did really makes the pic look better... I see what you did to it, but what post processing method did you use? curves in photoshop?

Always study the shot before you shoot

This is usually a fantastic idea. However, with a tiger, in a zoo, you can't exactly tell him, "Oh hold it there while I study this shot" lol But definitely learn to look for different shots as fast as you can. And turn the camera is a quick way to change the feeling of the shot and should be done on a regular basis. I have trouble myself of "Seeing" the shot. I am a terrible photographer. I need to work on studying the shot before I pull the trigger as well...

With something like a tiger its not so much about stopping the scene, its about learning the subject and predicting the scene, same for sports and other action based photography. A great part of this is experience, both on a generalist level and on an individual level (ie that specific cat) as well as environmental (animal within a select environment and its expected actions).

As for adding some punch a few ideas, esp good for when working with shooting through glass where you can get some haze/contrast loss.

1) RAW - boost the blacks slider when in the RAW processing tab; keep an eye on detailed areas to make sure you don't lose detail where shadows are stronger (this counts for most of these methods as well, and often you might need to temper them with layermasks).

2) Clarity slider in RAW or highpass sharpening in regular editing (highpass google for method details); boosting this slider gives you a more punchy edge to contrast differences, giving you a bit more sharpness and also a bit more contrast effect and colour saturation.

3) Contrast boost - yep typical contrast adjust - this can be great when you get bars giving localised whitish haze areas.

He is just gorgeous!

always plan and imagine the "moment" you want to capture before u shoot. that way, u can take great photos! of course some times it is a spontaneous thing. nice tiger shoots btw =]

Most reactions

Back