Tim Page - Leica 21mm

Shaun,

I can see where you are comming from. Ive not yet experienced it! But i do look up to people like Tim and many other users of this forum for there contributions to society and culture. I am all for Tim and anyone who works under him doing whatever it takes to get some compensation for the blood, sweat, tears, and un-imaginable horrors that they have faced in getting the perfect image. Its just by using his name you gave false hope to people like me who look up to this man and his achievements, so please forgive us for being a little bitter.

Regards,
Jason Marshall

We live in the same house - so if you want to correspond with him, you can do so through me. The only difference is, that if you have a question for Tim - he has to sit and write the response down - then I'll type it up.

well, we could contact the real Tim and ask him!
I'd still be the one typing it up

We live in the same house - so if you want to correspond with him, you can do so through me. The only difference is, that if you have a question for Tim - he has to sit and write the response down - then I'll type it up.

I'd still be the one typing it up

His work, what he did in such horrible times. The risks he took to take the images that would define that conflict is one of the few things that drive me in my photography, i aspire to cover people involved in conflicts, not the politics not the politicians. The soldiers, and more importantly the people who are displaced, uprooted and directly impacted by conflicts. At the very least, tell him thanks.

I will tell him.

One thing that Tim has mentioned quite often about what he saw changed my perception of 'victim', which may help you empathize with all the people you photograph in those environments.
He said, "Everybody in conflict becomes a victim, both the person pulling the trigger and the person taking the shrapnel."

I suppose there is no way to fully understand that until you have lived it and seen the effects, both emotional burdens and physical wounds.

personally I dont see any problem with the beginning of the video. The shots of the Leica are short and few. Its the theme for the collection. all shot on a 21. I think its a great collection and a great idea. Beyond that I like the shots of the camera in the begining it sets the tone for what you expect to see.

Tim is and has been a freelancer - when freelance correspondents make 15 cents a word trying to survive hostile-environments to bring us stories, or photojournalists are doing the same for very poor vending rates, why do we see a problem with people releasing a box set of images that were never published?

Who here is seeing a problem? I'd like to hear Tim's thoughts on this, which is why I asked him the questions. I was hoping for some fellow-traveller sort of connection with someone of a similar age, motivation, attitudes and background - though I am mired in self-imposed obscurity and not in the same league as Tim, I face a lot of the same issues and I believed that I shared some of his values. That's why I addressed Tim - a guy who I admire enormously.

There is no superannuation in freelance photography, but not everyone wants to be a wedding photographer. How do you survive off an archive?
I don't, and have never, expected to live off my archive, but I'm nowhere near as well known as Tim. I expected to be working until the day I died - but I was caught unprepared to survive this long, so my long-term plans are a little shaky. I guess that we have to do whatever we believe is right at the time we do it.

As C Day Lewis wrote:

It was not fraud or foolishness,
Glory, revenge, or pay:
We came because our open eyes
Could see no other way.

Also, about the nostalgia of the 60s & 70s - people with 'values' established during those decades are the ones running the world today...
What do you mean by that? Are people like Tim running the world?

Best wishes,
Helen

PS Has Tim ever thought about using voice recognition software?

Helen didnt read my long rant about how my generation is totally abusing her generation :(

I did read it, and found it heartening. Thank you. I just wasn't sure how to respond in a clear way. I thought that it was an interesting viewpoint. What I saw as sleeping with an old enemy, so to speak, you see as abusing the values of a previous generation. I don't know who has the rights to White Rabbit, or who agreed to their use in the ad. Among all the 60s and 70s tunes that have been used for commercials, that one has caused us the most debate, on many levels. That's what the dormouse said.

Best,
Helen

I'll get Tim to address you directly Helen.

However, can you explain this:
Has Tim ever thought about using voice recognition software?

I'll get Tim to address you directly Helen.

However, can you explain this:

There is software available for computers that alows a user to speak into a microphone and the words spoken are then translated into text. The software has come a long way, you might see it used by cellphone users that have the bluetooth head sets on there ears.

And Helen,

Im just upset with how we end up bastardizing everything =\

I'll look into getting voice recognition software. Thanks for the tip. I was under the impression that the software was quite flawed and frustrating to use -

I'll look into getting voice recognition software. Thanks for the tip. I was under the impression that the software was quite flawed and frustrating to use -

Once you train it, it can work really well.

Tim,

The You Tube video starts with a tacky Leica-fondling commercial intro. I guess that was part of the deal with Leica - as is this whole promotion. I'd like to think that you have become a member of this forum in order to share your knowledge and experience rather than to promote a Leica advert, but that hope is probably unrealistic, and in vain.

Helen it looks like you have a problem with it.

I don't have a problem with Tim releasing a box set of images ("I wouldn't want to criticize Tim for whatever he chooses to do with his images ..."), but I was initially puzzled by the mismatch in character between Tim's work and the intro. As we now know, it wasn't Tim's work but Shaun's: "Anyway, Tim did not make that video, I did. Actually, it was a video I had to send to reps from Leica, and was too busy to make another version for 'industry feedback', which this was suppose to be."

That pretty much explains the odd nature of the intro. It tends to give the lens the status of an icon*, and it really seemed out of character compared to what I know of Tim's work.

Best,
Helen

*In case anyone is wondering, I have one, and I use it quite a lot. It's a nice lens, for sure.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back