totalmajor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.subarunited.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys,

Just wanted some guidance before I went off to spend money for lenses.

I don't want to spend more than $300 but I still want a quality lens as well...

I like to shoot cars and just recently started shooting people and city scapes, (like the polish parade downtown I recently did)

I've noticed that with the *stock* Canon lens I have, the photos have alot of quality loss, especially when I start post production.

I was thinking something like a 70-200 mm lens from Sigma, but I'm not sure if that's such a great idea, and maybe a super wide angle lens instead?

What do you all think?

Thanks alot,
Peter

Is 300 the absolute maximum? The only reason i mention this is that used the canon 70-200 f4L could probably be had for around 400. Also, as for which lens, for that I suggest looking at the exif on most of your photos, and seeing which focal length you use more with your current lens and use that to decide.

You might try the 28-135 IS. A fair priced all purpose lens.

Everyone I've talked to has suggested grabbing the Canon 50mm f/1.8 prime lens. No zoom, but it's a high quality lens, and I hear it does macro pretty well. If you're specifically looking for a zoom/telephoto lens...then I have no clue, still deciding what to get myself! :)

The Canon 50 1.8 is good with excellent optics, but it is not high quality with regard to the build and focus on the lens. It is not good in lowlight (the AF that is). Also it is not a Macro by any means you would need a close up filter or extension tubes to make it macro.

range, overall image quality, speed, reasonably priced.

pick 3. :wink:

If you were thinking of a 70-200, yeah save a bit more and get the Canon 70-200 f/4L. Quality is superb and it's still faster than a slow f/5.6 lens.

What do you guys think of this

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

It rated not bad in photozone. I know, it is not the L and it is a EF-S lens but if your budget is tight with $300 and want to get something now, do you think it is pretty decent for the price?

Yes, it is low grade built like the kit lens, but the IQ is not too bad (according from photozone) What do you guy think about this one?

Anyone in the forum has this lens?

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-55-250mm-f-4-5.6-IS-Lens-Review.aspx

I would suggest the 28-135 lense. I've used before and liked it. I mainly use prime lenses but the 28-35 is not bad.

The 50mm f/1.8 is great not jsut for the money but for what it produces. 89.0 bucks cmon who wouldn't want that.

28-135 is built way better than the 55-250 as well plus its going to be a faster lens and probably a bit better in low lit conditions.

If you can splurge an extra 200 get the 70-200mm f/4 l (non IS).

I tried out the 50mm f/1.8 yesterday ands it's a great lens for the price (just $89!!!). If you want a zoom, what kind of a zoom do you want? If you shoot small and far away things, get some telephoto lens. If you shoot things that are close to you, get a wide angle zoom. And if you're undecided, get the 28-135mm.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back