Time for an Upgrade.. 5D Mark II or 7D?

the urban photo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay. So here's the story.

I've always loved my Canon Rebel T1i. Totally satisfied with it from day one. Never had a single issue.
But today I picked up a 7D.
And that was a big mistake.
It was love.

And now it's upgrade time.

So I'm looking in to selling off my trusty T1i with one of my less-utilized lenses to spring for a new camera!
My question: (and I'm sure this has been asked again and again... but I couldn't find it on here.) What are your opinions? 7D or 5D Mark II? Or something else entirely? I am wondering what the major differences are (other than the pricetag) and whether I'll regret buying the 7D and not saving a bit longer for the Mark. The Mark is so famous, but I've also heard that the 7D has some pretty advanced new settings, so I'm torn.

I shoot mostly weddings and portraits, but I also need something that will do well in low-light.

Thoughts?

Weddings, portraits, and low light? 5d mk II all the way, no doubt about it. The 7d would get it done for sure, but the mark is sooo much better in low light. The only question is, are your current lenses going to work on a full frame camera? Or are they designed for crop sensors?

If they are designed for crop sensors, then You would need to replace them if you got the 5d.

Because EF-S lenses will not mount on a 5D Mk II, only EF lenses will mount.

If you have to ask which camera, 7D or 5D Mk II, you don't need to upgrade. But, it's your money and you can spend it any way you want.

I moved up to the 7D. I like my choice. I definitely do want a full frame and I'd like the 5D but I want to wait a little longer to see if Canon is going to release something new. The only thing holding me back is the exposure bracketing. Three is not good enough.

Thanks guys-
Yes, I would have to buy new lenses, only one of my lenses is EF. So going the 5D Mark II route would be a much larger investment.

If it were you, would you buy:

A gripped D70, a Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS USM Telephoto lens and still have the option of using the lenses you already have..

Or a 5D Mark II and have to rebuild your whole lens collection?

Last edited:
If it were me I'd spend the whole budget on a 70-200mm f2.8 IS L MII and consider waiting to upgrade the body at a later date. Good bodies do make a difference, but good glass gives a much bigger jump to image quality. Bodies are more there for better ISOs, AF, performance, interface etc... whilst the real quality of a shot comes more from the lens and lighting than the body itself.

Of course when considering something like the 5DM2 you've also got to consider the angle of view change that it gives and if you feel that a wider angle of view is desireable for your kind of photography then I'd go for the 5DMII or the 5D original earlier rather than later (no point building a kit and working with the crop sensor view and then having to start over with the fullframe angle of view).

As a general bit of advice for weddings, portraits and lowlight work the 5DM2 is the superior tool over the 7D - the 7D has good high ISO and amazing auto focus, but the 5DMII is better at higher ISOs and also the wider angle of view it gives is far more suitable for indoor work and genera wedding/portrait photography.

I moved up to the 7D. I like my choice. I definitely do want a full frame and I'd like the 5D but I want to wait a little longer to see if Canon is going to release something new. The only thing holding me back is the exposure bracketing. Three is not good enough.

Why would exposure bracketing hold you back, don't you know how to alter the exposure by half or 1 stop a stop each way ?

Thanks guys-
Yes, I would have to buy new lenses, only one of my lenses is EF. So going the 5D Mark II route would be a much larger investment.

If it were you, would you buy:

A gripped D70, a Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8: OO IS USM Telephoto lens and still have the option of using the lenses you already have..

Or a 5D Mark II and have to rebuild your whole lens collection?

Well unless your planning on moving to the dark side (sorry Josh!) and converting to Nikon i'm assuming you mean a 7D;). For me, given your subjects, i'd go gripped 7D, and something like the 17-40 f/4 L rather than the 70-200.

gsgary said:
Why would exposure bracketing hold you back, don't you know how to alter the exposure by half or 1 stop a stop each way ?

When Nikon has more then 3 Autobrackets and Canon does not for the 5D I will wait a bit longer to see what develops.

Haha! Sorry, did mean 7D. I have a D70 that I'm trying to sell as well, so it was on my mind :)

gsgary said:

When Nikon has more then 3 Autobrackets and Canon does not for the 5D I will wait a bit longer to see what develops.

But most times that you are bracketing shots you've easily got time to adjust the aperture manually on the camera (since most bracketing is done with the aperture). Just shoot - turn the aperture dial a few clicks (or even one click if you set it to change on full stops with each turn) and click again.
It's a nice feature to have more bracket options, but not really a deal breaker for most (heck I've never even found the need to use the bracketing feature)

I want it for HDR. If Nikon has it Canon should to. I've had the 7D for less than a year so I am not desperate for a new camera but I am indeed anxious for a FF. I check the rumor mill but don't see anything yet on a new FF body.

I want it for HDR. If Nikon has it Canon should to. I've had the 7D for less than a year so I am not desperate for a new camera but I am indeed anxious for a FF. I check the rumor mill but don't see anything yet on a new FF body.

Canon is for more experienced photographers that know how to use their cameras

gsgary said:
Canon is for more experienced photographers that know how to use their cameras

Not sure if that's true (lol) but it's a convenience feature that is lacking, in my opinion. Canon has it on the 1's so they know how to do it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back