Time for me to ditch the mirror, maybe leave Nikon?

Don't settle, life is to short. Personally, I don't get all the negative comments on the full frame Nikon mirrorless other than the retro FM digital camera. Also you can still rent cameras. The camera is a tool, you just have to find the one that fits you and makes you want to shoot. My current favorite camera is the Agfa Billy Record FWIW.

I'm going to tell you something interesting, if I was forced to only have one camera, it would be the Fujifilm X100V. No fusssing around with lenses, just grab and go. I recently was laughed at by a professional photographer at a soccer game because I was using the 100V and prior to that the Agfa Billy Record. He made a snarky comment and instead of beating him up (my old self), I just smiled and walked to my vehicle. He came up to me last night and apologized. He said his wife was raving about my photo's so he took a look and admitted was shocked. I said no worries and thank you. I also told him it's the 12 inches behind the camera regardless of make or model. This is a huge crop but hey, the best camera is the one you have with you.

View attachment 248284

Well that took some guts, to do.
People with an overinflated ego might admit it, but won't tell you that.

That's silly, I disagree. I think most are both. I consider myself both. I'm not a pro and don't need to justify investment with any return. The gear is absolutely, unashamedly, part of the enjoyment of the hobby for many people.
I agree with you. As an aviator we knew full well that the huge investment we made in an IFR GPS would in no way make us better pilots. But it would enable us to fly routes and approaches that were otherwise unavailable. The same is true with photography. My mirrorless doesn't make me a better photographer but there are some shots I can get with it that are extraordinarily difficult with my traditional DSLR. And it is fun to use.

the equipment you have should serve you quite well. You can get a significant boost in quality by paying someone to remove that stupid filter in front of the sensor. And another huge boost by unloading any zoom lenses you may have. Manufacturers have been swearing up and down for decades that 'zoom lenses are now as good as fixed focal length lenses'. They're still lying about that, though the current zoom lenses (the very expensive ones) are indeed substantial improvements, but they still rob a lot of resolution from our images.
I should mention I'm not disagreeing with your entire post :)

Well that took some guts, to do.
People with an overinflated ego might admit it, but won't tell you that.
I was surprised as well. He was so sure of himself and his snarky comment.

I have definitely noticed his absence and hope he is doing well!
He's fine (recovered from a stroke). I just talked to him yesterday. But he's no longer really into shooting.

Well, if Darrell is reading here, hope you get well soon. Your wisdom is missed.

I agree with you. As an aviator we knew full well that the huge investment we made in an IFR GPS would in no way make us better pilots. But it would enable us to fly routes and approaches that were otherwise unavailable. The same is true with photography. My mirrorless doesn't make me a better photographer but there are some shots I can get with it that are extraordinarily difficult with my traditional DSLR. And it is fun to use.
Yet i bet that you still use photoshop on everything...

Look at it this way,, tools dont actually make a better photo, photographer, or pilot.

If a machinist is able to make a medieval style lathe, and make chair legs, he can do it with any lathe ever made.

Leaving one brand for another only makes sense to me if you feel that the ergonomics of the one you have isn't working for you - all the big brands are very similar in terms of what they offer as tools and while they will continually leapfrog each other slightly as successive generations are released, none is clearly better than the other as a long-term system investment; in my opinion.

As for ditching the mirror, yes, I personally believe they are a good evolution and offer much that is 'better' than DSLR's in terms of making the work less. To me it is the same as when I migrated from manual cars to double clutch transmission; PDK, DCT etc. Nothing at all wrong with manual, still fun to drive, ideal for the 'purist' since more involving, more skill required etc but the evolution is faster, easier.

Mirrorless make it 'easier' for me to get the images I want. I like the EVF - it has progressed over recent years to become a viable alternative that really works very well in its current form. I really enjoy the Auto-Focus - Animal AF especially. I get many more keepers, especially BiF and when I am on Safari.

Sure, I could get all serious and work at getting the same shots more frequently from a more thorough knowledge of how the camera works etc. Boring - for me. Exciting for others. I'm just not into that aspect of photography. I want the camera to do the heavy lifting automatically with just some minor tweaks from myself. Mirrorless, I find, takes us another step forward in that. I don't need to be an expert on the camera-side of photography to produce really nice images.
Similarly, I haven't the patience nor creative inclination to spend much time in post; photoshop et al. I don't mind quick adjustments but seconds, not minutes per image.

I probably represent the majority of 'photographers'. Casual hobbyists. People who like to take pictures but not for profit and not as their biggest passion. Most of my images come from my smartphone and are sent out via social media. Never printed. I do see a marked quality increase still even when viewed on a laptop between my iPhone and Canon Mirrorless so I do like to have that extra step up available for when I want it - holidays, special occasions, when I feel like carrying it because I want the best images I personally can take.

The latest tech is great. I'm all in. That doesn't mean older tech is obsolete and useless - some of my favourite images were taken on my first DSLR, a Canon 20D. I still have it. Lovely camera. My R5 with RF L lenses blows it away in terms of ability as an imaging tool however and so I prefer the newer kit - easier for me to get the shot I want.

The latest tech is great. I'm all in. That doesn't mean older tech is obsolete and useless - some of my favourite images were taken on my first DSLR, a Canon 20D. I still have it. Lovely camera. My R5 with RF L lenses blows it away in terms of ability as an imaging tool however and so I prefer the newer kit - easier for me to get the shot I want.

I prefer my R6 over my 6D Mark II and 7D Mark II for many of the reasons you stated in regards to the EVF. But sometimes I like going back and using the old 30D I have and challenging myself to get a great shot without all the techno features. Others enjoy the challenge of film and it unique look.

I prediect there will develop a burgeoning industry of people who can fix DSLRs and their lenses. The manufactureres are eventually not going to make or support them them. But there will always be those who like a mirror that flips up. Today there is a cadre of people who can fix old tube amplifiers and others who can overhaul ...... a carburetor!

I have always used an EVF for birding. I have no issues and like the what I see is what I get.

I've used both but I prefere the mirrorless. The animal and eye tracking in the R6/5/3 is incredible. There are shots of birds in flight that I know I got that I likely would have missed with the DSLR. In one case it was a bald eagle flying overhead and I had 800mm on the R6 handheld. I was able to keep the animal in the frame and the AF tracked it flawlessly even though the lens was f 11 (the lowest possible for that configuration).

zulu42: considering selling my trusty D800 and going mirrorless. I figured it would be natural to go to Z6 or Z7. Then I read Ken Rockwell's reviews recommending switch now to Canon. I'm still leaning Nikon but I like the way Rockwell reviews, so I hope for a little discussion. I have 4 Nikon lenses

davidkachel: Most of the people in the world who own Nikon/Leica/Canon etc. are not photographers. They are photographic equipment collectors. Those are the people telling you that you should upgrade.

david +1 for that comment

I've never really been a digital person, and i think Ken is pretty much a part of the opinionated mainstream, but then again, he was from New York... but he thought that digital is something that you pay 5x as much for it being digital than manual focus for the same quality, and digital cameras will need to get replacements or fixed if that's possible 10, 20, 40 50 years from now. You might be able to fix your M3 but not your M8 in the future.....

But Ken i think is pretty sharp for seeing that Canon RF and Nikon Z is the future.
I would say all three of the f/1.8 Nikon glass are keepers for life, and most everything Canon has is more than great. Especially the wide angles and telephotos i think Canon wins out over Nikon.

zulu which Nikon lenses have you got for the D800?
what nikon or canon system are you leaning to, and what lenses/prices?

Pretty much you got the Rolls Royce for that style of Nikon, and think hard if you want to keep it or sell it.

Go for the lenses, and only the lenses...
but everyone gets points for pretty looking!

zulu42: considering selling my trusty D800 and going mirrorless. I figured it would be natural to go to Z6 or Z7. Then I read Ken Rockwell's reviews recommending switch now to Canon. I'm still leaning Nikon but I like the way Rockwell reviews, so I hope for a little discussion. I have 4 Nikon lenses

davidkachel: Most of the people in the world who own Nikon/Leica/Canon etc. are not photographers. They are photographic equipment collectors. Those are the people telling you that you should upgrade.

david +1 for that comment

I've never really been a digital person, and i think Ken is pretty much a part of the opinionated mainstream, but then again, he was from New York... but he thought that digital is something that you pay 5x as much for it being digital than manual focus for the same quality, and digital cameras will need to get replacements or fixed if that's possible 10, 20, 40 50 years from now. You might be able to fix your M3 but not your M8 in the future.....

But Ken i think is pretty sharp for seeing that Canon RF and Nikon Z is the future.
I would say all three of the f/1.8 Nikon glass are keepers for life, and most everything Canon has is more than great. Especially the wide angles and telephotos i think Canon wins out over Nikon.

zulu which Nikon lenses have you got for the D800?
what nikon or canon system are you leaning to, and what lenses/prices?

Pretty much you got the Rolls Royce for that style of Nikon, and think hard if you want to keep it or sell it.

Go for the lenses, and only the lenses...
but everyone gets points for pretty looking!

My take on the Canon R system is the LACK of 3rd party lenses.
Canon has effectively closed off 3rd party AF RF lenses.
So, you are stuck with only two options

1 - Use Canon RF lenses.
There are NO 3rd party autofocus RF lenses (that I know of).
I do not like being boxed in. I may NOT buy a Sigma RF lens, but IF I want to, I want to. Because neither Canon nor Nikon make ALL the possible lenses to cover what I may want. That is where Sigma and Tamron come in, to plug the OEM gaps in their lens system. Currently this option is NOT available with Canon.

2 - Adapt Canon/3rd party EF lenses to the R camera
The flaw with #2 is the adapter. You have to have the adapter or you CANNOT use your EF lens on the R camera. I saw a situation where a photog was "trying" to mount her EF lens on a R10. I say trying, because the photog then realized that she did NOT have the EF to RF adapter. Forget the EF to RF adapter at home, and the EF lenses in your bag are useless.

The same can be said of the Nikon FTZ adapter. You have to HAVE the adapter with you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back