Time for Strobes. Which?

RjL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am definitely getting a Vivitar DF283 for the Sony Alpha series this weekend.

My question for those of you using this or other strobes is do these work well as off camera strobes on tripods. Ive been paying attention to the Strobist Thread in this category of forums. I would like to stay on a resonable budget which is why these caught my eye when I saw some photographers using them with umbrellas, softboxes, etc.

Pros and cons would be appreciated.

Thanks,

RjL

Last edited:
My favorite for this sort of work is the old Sunpak, Metz and Starblitz grip flashes - they're cheap on eBay/Craig's list, have a high guide number, simple controls and almost all will run off of both AC or battery power.

Thanks, I acutally went with the Vivitar DF383 for top mount to my Sony a200.

After speaking with the store rep, (@Ritz?), he noted that the Vivitar 285HV would need a slave trigger which is tripped by the flash from the camera or speedlight to work.

I am back to square one I guess as far as off camera flash/strobes.

RjL

TI - How do you mount your grip Sunpaks for off camera? Thanks, Mike

I'm not sure if the 285 will use a slave or not, if so, news to me, but I have one for sale if you're interested

I use my cactus modified sender/receiver, i've had my two flashes about 450 feet away firing 100% ;)

TI - How do you mount your grip Sunpaks for off camera? Thanks, Mike
Where or what are you trying to mount it on? The first answer is put it on a light stand with a iniversal adapter. If your flash doesn't ha a PC port, then you'll need a hotshoe adapter. If you're hanging it from the rafters, there is another option. If you want........ just tell us what you're after

Most reactions

New Topics

Back