Time Lapse Photography

YoungRebel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey,

I just found it on YouTube and I was totally impressed by that kinda work...

Give it a try and watch it, you won't regret it ;)

[video=youtube;0rfL00UCANA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=0rfL00UCANA"]Time Lapse Photography[/video]

Maybe one of you already tried something like this and gives comments or tipps how this works...I'd be thankfull

So far
Pat

just open the shutter for a long time...and get experimenting.

Can't tell what software he used, maybe someone can add that. Paint Shop Pro will do animations made from single frames. Whatever, you'll need some software to combine them and make an AVI or MPG out of the single frames.

Figure video is about 30 frames per second. But animation can be whatever you want. I didn't download and look, but the planes landing (which I liked better than the common old traffic shots) you could see multiple exposures of the same landing lights coming in.

First off, rock solid tripod or mounting. Remote trigger, or just touching the camera will make it move around.

Decide on a rate. one shot every 5 seconds means as video you would need to take 300 photos for a ten second clip. He didn't do that, but it's just an example.

Say you wanted to show ten frames per second, then the number needed is reduced to 100 photos, strung together, for a ten second clip.

Or you can take a frame every ten seconds, and run at six frames per second, so every minute is one second. Hey cool!

That's the basics. Pick a time in seconds, shoot at that rate. Figure a frame rate, and then you can determine how long the clip will be when done. But you want to pick a time and shoot a frame every X seconds, the whole time, so it looks animated.

Have fun!

Alternate plan B. (B is for boring) Get a video camera that does time lapse. :lol:

Yes, or you could just use a film camera. They have time-lapse sytems for those, too...

Camera + laptop + USB2.0 = timelapse joy.

Or D200 since it has this option in the menu. Set the quality to JPEG Small with medium compression and get like 1700 frames on a 2gb card.

Bear in mind that your camera has a max shutter life. I've done a few of these videos and I'm hesitant to do too many more because of this. My camera is less than a year old and quickly approaching 50000 clicks

On the D200, the rated max is 100,000 shutter events, but there are people out there with D200's that have well over 500,000 pics taken with them and are still working to perfection. At that rate, you can go another year at least before needing at least an inspection.

But, thats a lot of pics! Impressive!

Bear in mind that your camera has a max shutter life. I've done a few of these videos and I'm hesitant to do too many more because of this. My camera is less than a year old and quickly approaching 50000 clicks

Are you aware you came up with a perfect justification for a pro body?

Yes I am, but both of you are unaware that I am a poor uni student who can't afford the repair or the pro body. Ok I say this here while stroking my new 80-200 f/2.8 but the point is the same, money that doesn't need to be spent. I am the tightarse in the family and yet the one with the most expensive things :er:

Taking a timelapse like that one in the movie above by the time you take into account the scenes which didn't make the cut or the ones where the timing was off and stuffed up and you'd easily be down 10000+ clicks on the shutter. While I actually don't care that much about the number of clicks the OP has a 400D which doesn't have a 100000 click shutter life expectancy.

Greetings, I'm new to this forum. I'm looking to do some time laps shots involving hiking up to mountain tops and filming sunsets and sunrises. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive digital camera that will do this? I own a Canon A540 and I really like the images it takes. But I'm not finding any interval or time laps options on it. Something in that price range would be great. Thanks!
C.G. Las Vegas

Okay so I can't spell, LOL. So can anyone help me here? Thanks

More than likely, they're using After Effects to merge the photos into a video. I've done it and AE will let you bring an image sequence into a new comp as video.

Most reactions

Back