Time-Lapsing The Stars - What About The Dew?

JohnYoga

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I would like to time-lapse the stars' movement; I will have the camera 4' off the ground, but worry that the camera will get hit with dew. Is there a certain block of night hours where one's camera does not get wet via dew?

Regards & Thanks,

John
San Diego

It depends on the temperature and the humidity level.

Amateur astronomers develped solutions years and years ago for their telescope optics..

I shoot a lot of trails and have only had it happen once during a really humid night.

How long do you plan on shooting?

John, The answers is...Anza- Borrego

Also, Check what the dew point temps are

Folks, thank you for answering me!

Ah, yes, Anza-Borrego...That would be perfect for this sorta thing! I'll need to keep that in mind. In the meantime, I just want to take my lazy ass to my backyard here in Escondido, put the camera on a tripod and point it to the heavens above us...Yes, make a lot of mistakes time-lapsing, but, in the end, capture those stars as they make their way across the sky while we sleep...

OK, it looks like the dew point tonight is 50F, and it is 56F now. Does that mean (excuse my ignorance!), that when the temperature falls below 50F, dew forms? And, since the camera lens is pointed to the sky, do I need to add-in X amount of degrees because the lens may be slightly cooler?

As to how long I plan on shooting? No idea. I was thinking from dusk to dawn; what are your thoughts?

Thanks again,

John

OK, it looks like the dew point tonight is 50F, and it is 56F now. Does that mean (excuse my ignorance!), that when the temperature falls below 50F, dew forms?
Yes, that's how it works. That will also tell you if you're going to have frost on your windshield when you get up to go to work. ;) (Not at 50 degrees though, obviously...)

And, since the camera lens is pointed to the sky, do I need to add-in X amount of degrees because the lens may be slightly cooler?
It doesn't matter where it's pointed - it will be the same temperature as the air around it (assuming you get outside early enough for the temperature of your gear to equalize with the air before it gets dark - which you should do).

Astro stores sell heaters for this. I have one for my scope's aperture and one for the eyepiece. They're basically heating pads that run off a 12Vdc deep-cycle battery.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back