Time marches on....

duhast

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
...and here I am starting to get back to 'camera' photography with something other than a pocket camera, after almost 40 years.

Today I started focusing less on learning the new T3i, and thinking more about my favorite subject matter, what I shot back then and what I'm going to try and re-visit in my new adventures.

I majored in photo way back then at college, and a group of us formed a little 'society' we called PAIFLOAWAK, the People's Anti Imperialistic Foto League Of Amerika With A 'K'. See, the joke there was one of the guys was married to a smokin' hot Swedish blond (Isabel) who was far left in her politics. We used to drive around SoCal on 'photo expeditions' on the weekends. My collection Fantasy Dolls and Ruby Black posted in the B&W forum came out of one of those.

So when I start to get functional with the new camera, I'd like to go back to my roots, shooting b&w. The sorts of things I love to shoot are:

The SoCal desert and it's abandoned, weather-beaten structures.
Mannequins in storefront windows, with/without window reflections.
Abandoned warehouses. (You know the genre'.)
Small, local carnivals in the morning, so they look completely devoid of people. (Creep central.)
Candid shots at the county fair, sometimes shooting from the hip while moving through the crowd. (The 'magic hour' is best for this.)
Experimental color shots with long exposures/moving camera.

I also am very excited about setting up some special access at work and being able to shoot there and see what interesting things I can get. I have a great job, I work on Battleship Iowa, and I think I can get access to the engineering spaces upon prior arrangement. That could be very productive. Here's a couple low-res taken with my pocket camera 8 months ago...

http://i47.tinypic.com/1zouvzb.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/mvk8q1.jpg

Some interesting shipboard compositions. Do they give you any trouble about doing this? Considering the flak I get occasionally for taking pictures on public streets, I would think the military would be impossible about it. In any event, these would make good B&W, especially the one with the screaming red handle!

Iowa is a museum now, and though it's mostly volunteers, I'm on staff. She went out of commission in 1990 and was mothballed since then. Photography is wide open on board...

The first one is a b&w convert. In real life, the 'z' on the port hole is red.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back