time of day???

KVB1085

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
what's the best time of day to take pictures of cabins? inside and out???

i was told morning or evening so that the sun is either behind you or in front of you. that was from a photographer...

but my girlfriend who works real estate said that all of the agents she knows says they like to do their pictures around 1:00 in the after noon...

i'm asking cause i'm about to take some shots of some cabins for a real estate brochure... and one of the agents is hiring me to do so.... so i want to get good pics for her...

For photography or art purposes, early in the morning or later in the evening when the sun is low in the sky and nice and golden, which will make a place look really warm and inviting. Real-estate agents would want noon-ish because then they can get photos from all sides without any shadows, but that's not for artistic purposes. It's for selling stuff. Mid-day sun is extremely harsh and not what you'd want to fill galleries up with in most cases.

For photography or art purposes, early in the morning or later in the evening when the sun is low in the sky and nice and golden, which will make a place look really warm and inviting. Real-estate agents would want noon-ish because then they can get photos from all sides without any shadows, but that's not for artistic purposes. It's for selling stuff. Mid-day sun is extremely harsh and not what you'd want to fill galleries up with in most cases.

ok, so for a real estate brochure i should probably go with what they want and go mid dayish?

maybe get there a bit early and do one or two "more artistic" shots just throw some in the mix??

You provide what your agent want. So what does he/she wants? Houses have lots of windows, so while one room may be suitable in the morning, another room may not be, same for the afternoon. I wouldn't think the agent want a shot where you have sunlight streaming through a window causing distraction of the interior, a selling point.

I agree, if you want it to be a job well done you should go at least twice. A nice sunny shot in the front with a big blue sky for a cover shot, then a more serene shot of the yard/landscape.

just never stop shooting. then you will be able to figure out what you like!!! HA HA HA!!! im sure you can come out with some good shots

I shoot homes and cabins for a living. I prefer 9-10am or 2-3pm (winter hours). Too early/late problems occur with sun coming through unblinded windows.

Here's an example page.
http://desertlink.com/country-life-realty-homes/

Other things I've found helpful, shoot homes facing east and north during the morning hours. West and South in afternoon. Wide angle if you got one, never more than two walls at a time. Tripod if you got one. HDR if you can. If you can't, don't worry about it. Have fun, stay loose.

THANKS SO MUCH TO EVERYONE!!!! all of that helps me greatly!

i've got a tripod... which i plan on using.. but i do not know what hdr even means!!! lol... i'm literally just now getting into this.. and i'm buying a d70 tonight...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back