Time to buy a new printer....

David

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.davidbazlinton.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
In the next few weeks I am going to be changing my printer, and am looking for an A3+ replacement up to around the £400 mark. So far I've narrowed it down to three possibles (see below) and would appreciate any thoughts you may have about them, or even any other suggestions that you would add to the list.

Canon Pixma Pro 9000
Epson R1800
HP Photosmart 8750

I've always had Canon's before, and would probably have gone for another one without asking, but I've recently had a few problems with defective print heads, and so thought I'd cast the net a bit wider.

I have read several reviews, and each of the three printers has their pros and cons, so if anyone can add anything else I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance,

David

I have used the Epson R2400 quite a bit and Epson says it is comparable to the 1800. The 2400 is an awesome printer. The new inks that Epson has come out with do a superb job and the nice thing is they are archival quality.

All printers have their problem and I wouldn't knock canon just for their very few defective print heads however I would not buy the Canon because I'm not a fan of their older inks. the newest ones use pigment ink and I would now only buy pigment ink based printers- The archival quality of pigment based inks is indeed better than the dye based inks of the older Canon.

The Epson R2400 is indeed a beauty (I have one). The R1800 does not use the same K3 inks but is still comparable and some say better on glossy media.

I'd go with the Epson

I ended up getting a canon pixma ip6700d (purchased from Futureshop), but a sales rep at Henry's told me after the fact that the processor inside the Canon printers takes away a little bit of the resolution, and the Epson does not. The example that I was given was if you printing 300 dpi with the canon it is really coming out like 270 dpi. Where the Epson really does the 300 dpi. Now he also said because I was using at 10.2 mp camera that I have enough info in the picture to sacrifice the little bit of information lost.
Not sure if this helps any!

Thanks all for the advice, and based on it I think I'll go for the Epson, but wait a month or two and buy the 2400.

Thanks again.

David

The 2400 is a fantastic machine. Only one thing I don't like (well two actually). If you print a lot on both matte and glossy papers you need to switch the photo/matte black cartridges. this uses up precious ink.

The other issue is that ink gets used very quickly when printing a lot - this is a problem with all consumer A3+ printers though and not just the Epson.

Cheers
Jim

Big Epson fan here.... For a new printer, you can't go wrong with either R1800 or R2400. My personal opinion is that the R2400 has a better inkset.

If you can find one, the 2200 (which I picked over the R1800) is also an excellent printer.

Not exactly on topic.. buth there was some good info I posted back when I was deciding on a 2200.

http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29325

Epson is hands down the best. Inks are no fun.

Most reactions

Back