Time To Upgrade?

I get this exact same question every week, or at least it seems so, except concerning PC's/Laptops.

My response is this. If your current set-up can't do what you need it to do anymore, then it's probably due for an update. I think you could apply this equally, to a camera.

Just a thought,

J.:mrgreen:

Hi Everyone,
How do u know when its time to upgrade to a more advanced DSLR?
How long should a person wait intill they buy a new DSLR (upgrade)?
Any good advice?

Thanks in advance!

I don't know if this is good advice but here goes. The time to upgrade your DSLR is either when no lens you can afford to buy will enable you to take the pictures you want to take or when the new DSLRs have so many features you can't live without them.

For example, I bought my latest camera, a Canon 50D because my Canon XTi Rebel had a maximum shutter speed that was too slow for satisfactory use with 500mm and greater lenses. Also, the 50D has live view which is great for macro work. I may never buy another new camera although having another 50D is very attractive so as to have two lenses readily available. It's a nuisance trying to change lenses outdoors when stuff is happening.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

I have run into the "maximum shutter speed is too slow" issue with my XTi... I don't know why you'd hit that issue with a 500mm lens though. seems like you'd be fine with slower shutter speeds considering the amount of light that those types of lenses let in. I had it because my 50mm f1.8 was too bright even at ISO100, so I had to stop down to get a proper exposure.

I have run into the "maximum shutter speed is too slow" issue with my XTi... I don't know why you'd hit that issue with a 500mm lens though. seems like you'd be fine with slower shutter speeds considering the amount of light that those types of lenses let in. I had it because my 50mm f1.8 was too bright even at ISO100, so I had to stop down to get a proper exposure.

If you want to hand-hold a long lens (e.g. birds in flight), your best chance to get a decent image is with a very fast shutter speed.

I agree, but how much faster than 1/4000 do you want???

Ah, good point. Didn't know what the max on the XTi was ... :)

OK then, how 'bout UFOs in flight?

well the max shutterspeed of XTI may be sufficient but the controls are just awful. It would take quite a bit more button pressing and checking the main LCD before you get the settings you want. With those larger cameras, even the xxD series you could actually change settings while still looking through the viewfinder... that's one of the reasons why I only use my XSI for tripod and landscape shots.

yes, ease of controls warrants the extra $700 or whatever... on the xti, the only thing you can't adjust while looking through the LCD is the ISO setting. and honestly how often do you need to adjust that?

everything else can be accessed while lining up your shot if you so desire.

Last edited:
also, what ISO are you using to take a picture faster than 1/4000 with a 500mm and greater lens? dang.

These may be of interest to you:

IMG_1497a.JPG photo - graphicsguy photos at pbase.com

IMG_1503.JPG photo - graphicsguy photos at pbase.com

IMG_1529.JPG photo - graphicsguy photos at pbase.com

I am certain the exif information is inaccurate regarding ISO. I know for a fact I set it for H1 (6400) and H2 (12800) for some images but it always indicated 3200 in the exif.

The focal length exif is also inaccurate. Some images I used 2 Kenko 1.4 converters on the lens but that information is not shown in the exif.

I used a monopod for all the shots. I don't like to see a picture of an animal where the animal only uses 10% or 20% of the frame. None of the 3 pictures listed above have been cropped. The Jaguar was shot through some heavy plastic glass so it looks a little milky.

I am upgrading my body because I want my girlfriend to be able to shoot with me, so rather than buying her something, I'm going to do the gentlemanly thing and buy myself something nice and give her my old rags.

icassell, I'll bet you would benefit more from a better zoom lens.
I wish my gf would come shooting with me! She's just not into it the same way I am.

I am upgrading my body because I want my girlfriend to be able to shoot with me, so rather than buying her something, I'm going to do the gentlemanly thing and buy myself something nice and give her my old rags.

icassell, I'll bet you would benefit more from a better zoom lens.
I wish my gf would come shooting with me! She's just not into it the same way I am.

Hmmmm .... maybe you need to upgrade your body too? :lmao:

... sorry ... couldn't resist

I feel sad, having laughed -- but good one. ;)

I feel sad, having laughed -- but good one. ;)

yeah too much fried chicken is just not very good for you and your body

yes, ease of controls warrants the extra $700 or whatever... on the xti, the only thing you can't adjust while looking through the LCD is the ISO setting. and honestly how often do you need to adjust that?

everything else can be accessed while lining up your shot if you so desire.

uh the price difference between XSI and 40D is less than 200. Back when I decided to buy a 40D over XSI I already had enough money for the Rebel but I chose to work two more weeks to save more money so I will be able to get the better one :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back