Tips For Holding A Camera Steady

Limited caffeine intake

Yeah, I've read all the things that are supposed to decrease it. Read all the things about decreasing my cholesterol also, but still love bacon and sausage!!! In the words Woody Allen - " You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." I try to live a fairly healthy life of moderation - moderation not elimination!!!

Problems are magnified when I go to a longer focal length, so may just have to resolve to carry tripod with me, or try some of the things Designer suggested.

Tried @Designer suggestion of rope loop and eye bolt. Might hold some promise need to practice with it. I did find out that if there is a borderline between to much pressure and to little. To much will actually accentuate the problem while a light pressure will decrease it???? Also reviewed a video of arm locks that Designer sent. That might also be of help when I practice them so they don't feel uncomfortable.
more details on post #6 about that here ==> Stability - making yourself a tripod versus using one

Would wearing weights on your wrists work?
also, what i do is rest my camera on my left shoulder while I shoot it with my right hand.

Would wearing weights on your wrists work?
also, what i do is rest my camera on my left shoulder while I shoot it with my right hand.

Apparently JC also has the same problem, and noted above using weights to work out 'before". Supposedly the repetitive weight lifting before doing something requiring good hand/eye coordination will help. As I said earlier, a light pressure helps, but there's a line where to much makes it worse.

Resting the camera on the shoulder is similar to the video Designer sent me, in that uses the shoulder/upper arm to rest the camera while locking the arms together. That seemed to help, but it's an odd position, and will require some practice to get used to.

Limited caffeine intake

Yeah, I've read all the things that are supposed to decrease it. Read all the things about decreasing my cholesterol also, but still love bacon and sausage!!! In the words Woody Allen - " You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." I try to live a fairly healthy life of moderation - moderation not elimination!!!

Problems are magnified when I go to a longer focal length, so may just have to resolve to carry tripod with me, or try some of the things Designer suggested.
Well, you asked. These were things that are significant in calming them. I gave you some good, less evasive techniques in my post. The weights are real helpful, takes 5 minutes but don't be alarmed if initially, the tremors seem worse. Really helps, I keep a set in the truck.

Sent from my SM-T377V using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

The weights are real helpful, takes 5 minutes but don't be alarmed if initially, the tremors seem worse.

With mine, weight can actually increase the tremors substantially for period of time after. If I use the weed eater for 30 mins, it might be an hour after before I can hold a glass of water in one hand without shaking so bad I spill it all.

I've found walking to be a great calming method. I have an app on my phone that tracks it. So far today, I've got about 3 miles in. Sadie and I will go out again before dark. Seems like low impact exercise really helps. Concentration is a trigger as well, sometimes slowing the breathing and clearing the mind helps. If I'm setting at the computer concentrating on typing something, it won't be long before the head starts shaking, (or so I've been told by employees, family, spouse, and others) though I wouldn't have knowledge of it happening. If it got bad enough that I noticed it, I'd get up walk the yard, warehouse or shop, to clear the mind so I could go again.

After several years, I guess I've just learned to compensate for it. With photography I can generally compensate, by using a tripod or brace against something. Every now and then I get in a situation where (like the tree) there isn't anything handy.

The weights are real helpful, takes 5 minutes but don't be alarmed if initially, the tremors seem worse.

With mine, weight can actually increase the tremors substantially for period of time after. If I use the weed eater for 30 mins, it might be an hour after before I can hold a glass of water in one hand without shaking so bad I spill it all.

I've found walking to be a great calming method. I have an app on my phone that tracks it. So far today, I've got about 3 miles in. Sadie and I will go out again before dark. Seems like low impact exercise really helps. Concentration is a trigger as well, sometimes slowing the breathing and clearing the mind helps. If I'm setting at the computer concentrating on typing something, it won't be long before the head starts shaking, (or so I've been told by employees, family, spouse, and others) though I wouldn't have knowledge of it happening. If it got bad enough that I noticed it, I'd get up walk the yard, warehouse or shop, to clear the mind so I could go again.

After several years, I guess I've just learned to compensate for it. With photography I can generally compensate, by using a tripod or brace against something. Every now and then I get in a situation where (like the tree) there isn't anything handy.
Im sorry bud, i was really hoping I could share what worked for me from mostly self awareness, worthless doctor visits and that it could transform your experience as it has mine. It has been a major issue for me since. Painting was difficult from it and I needed a creative outlet to compensate painting. The brush has to goo where you tell it. My head movement is not as obvious as i can control it but it wears me out in short order. I believe I am on the road to recovery, I believe for no more embarrassing days with Astro.

Sent from my SM-T377V using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

My head movement is not as obvious as i can control it but it wears me out in short order. I believe I am on the road to recovery,

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I've been told there is no cure for ET, and it can get worse. It's genetic, my Aunt had it really bad, primarily her head. I had one driver that it really freaked out, he couldn't stay long in my office if I was on the computer and the head started moving. LOL For me it's more of a nuisance that doesn't really get in the way of life, just have to do things differently sometimes, and I don't give a rat's ...... what other people think about it anymore. I treat others with respect and demand the same in return. Surprisingly it hasn't had any effect on my driving, just got back from a 350 mile trip, pulling a 40' 5th wheel.

One thing I found in carving and drawing, is that I could lightly rest the hand on the surface or use the other hand to lightly brace the hand using the tool. Usually doesn't take much. When you're using knives and chisels sharp enough to shave with you really don't need a lot of extra movement LOL

Have not read the thread fully. How is image stabilizing for you?

Have not read the thread fully. How is image stabilizing for you?

Definitely better than without. Not sure how to explain it but the hand movement is not usually violent, more of an almost imperceptible trembling. I might go days without any significant problem, then days when it could be varied in intensity. Telephoto lens are the biggest problem. Even with a tripod there are days when manual focus is difficult, and I have to rely on AF and the remote.

The K3ii shake reduction works by moving the sensor platter to compensate by up to 4.5 stops. It can also detect and account for panning and adjust accordingly which is kinda cool. As I've never used another brand I couldn't say if a lens with stabilization would work better for me.

thanks for the update. I've heard that Image Stabilizer, and Vibration Reduction, and Optical Stabilization (Canon,Nikon,Sigma trade names) works better in its specific, application-dependent, lens-dependendent incarnations than in-body stabilization, but that was years ago, and might not always be the truth. I think ANY type of stabilization system has got to be better than using nothing.

I was told that bananas have a chemical compound that steadies the human body...dart players, flutists (??). I dunno...

There are some really small monopod like devices that just lean against your body. I did a quick search to find something.
I know there are a variety of these out there. Dont know which to recommend. Smaller than a tripod and monopod, easily carried even when you dont need it and might provide just enough stabilization for you.

I just thought of another way to use the cord brace: Make the knot able to slide along the standing line easily so you can make the loop any size you want quickly. Then, try looping the loop around your upper arms instead of standing on it. I dunno, it might work, and keep the cord off the ground at the same time. In case there's mud, for instance. I'm going to give it a try myself sometime.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back