Tips for studio lighting

JayP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm giving it a go with doing portraits at the mo, I have osme lights and backgrounds but my test shots with a more than willing victim were a little bit off! Either to bright or to dark. I tried playing around a bit with settings and different positions but they still seem to come out all wrong! I was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice for me re using lighting, settings etc that might come in handy for the next practise!

Cheers!

Well, its old equipment from a retired guy, thought it was better to pay £50 for old stuff that does a similiar job to learn with than fork out tons for new stuff that I have no idea how to use! But it came with alot of developing stuff as well, which I have no where to use sadly.

Anyhow, lighting, I have two freestanding lights with 50w bulbs and two florr strobes that seem to trigger when the dedicated flash goes, which I wasn't expecting!! neither was the subject! they needed to sit down for a bit after that.

Anyhow, I think I was using to much light in a small area, also I think the lights could have done with being more to the side and further back to throw shadows outside of the field of vision I had them to directly aimed I reckon! Plus it might be two much light in one hit, dedicated flash and four lights less than 6ft away? Hey it was my first go! lol

What would you recommend?

I would shoot either with the 50w or the strobes not both. Generally two lights will get the job done. Try one light high at a 45º angle from the subject. Bounce it off a white card or shoot through a Soft Box or shower curtain. The idea is to get the light diffuse and not too harsh. the second light could be used to fill the shadows or light the background depends what you are looking for. After experimenting with the basic set up things will become a lot more clear.

Most reactions

Back