Tips for the Beach?

Dmariehill

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Any tips for protecting equipment at the beach? Mainly from blowing sand or kids throwing sand?

Does it make sense to use a cheap UV filter in this case?

It depends on the gear you are using, if your gears(camera+lens) are weather sealed then I wouldn't worry much. Uv filters are always there in front of my lens though to protect the front element as an insurance.

I would suggest a "dry bag" from a sporting goods store or maybe Walmart to keep it in when your not using it.

Any tips for protecting equipment at the beach? Mainly from blowing sand or kids throwing sand?

Does it make sense to use a cheap UV filter in this case?
Appropriately applied duct-tape will ensure that the children don't throw any sand.

IMO, this is place where a CHEAP filter of any sort makes the least sense. One of the most common issues with cheap filters is flare and/or ghosting, a problem which is usually exacerbated in bright/direct light, a quality most beaches have in excess. If you're really concerned, as mentioned a bag of some sort to cover it when not in use, avoid changing lenses if possible, and if you must, ensure you get out of the wind, protect the rear opening & mirror chamber and do it quickly.

No need for a "UV" filter as the sensor hasn't a problem with UV light. I would get a good 'Protective' filter, (not that a UV will hurt anything, just isn't necessary). Additionally, many/some weather-sealed lenses require a filter to complete the seal around the front element.

I would use a UV filter again without question.

I did a beach maternity shoot few months back. I was amazed how much moisture was on the filter of my lens. It was crazy and I never even touched a toe in the water. I'd hate for all that to get on the front element of my lens. I don't know if it is salt water or not but I would not want that on my actual lens.

If you're going to use a filter, use a filter with good anti-reflective coatings. Here's an example:

IMG_0002.jpg

The filter on the left is a cheap filter. The filter on the right is a high quality filter with good anti-reflective coatings.

I placed both filters on a piece of black card-stock and out of frame there's a desk lamp.

NOTICE that if you look through the filter on the left you can see a loss of contrast -- the filter has a reflective surface, not all the light can pass through it, and this is the sort of filter that will cause flare and "ghosting" (reflections that show up on your images.)

When you look through the filter on the right, the black card-stock looks nearly as black as the areas where there isn't any filter at all... nearly all the light passes through this filter with almost no reflections (technically it does have reflections -- but the coatings are good so the reflections are minimal.) The only way to guarantee zero reflection is to not use any filter at all.

This is why if you plan to put a filter in front of your lens, it's worthwhile to invest in a good quality filter -- something with very effective anti-reflective coatings.

Having done a dozen or so beach shoots I'd say

1) UV filters are for sissys.
2) A high quality CPL will not only sheild tehe lens from salt and whatever but give enhanced blues and reduce glare.

I usually just take the one lens and camera body I plan to use to the beach. A small camera bag and also take along a plastic bag that I can drop the camera bag in. If your out there with the family then an extra ice-chest (without ice) just for the camera works good to hold the camera bag.

It can depend some on your beach conditions, we can have some strong winds, blowing sand and cameras that walk off by themselves if left unattended.

...I did a beach maternity shoot few months back. I was amazed how much moisture was on the filter of my lens. It was crazy and I never even touched a toe in the water. I'd hate for all that to get on the front element of my lens. I don't know if it is salt water or not but I would not want that on my actual lens.
Other than the obvious reason of it affecting the images (which it is only likely to do to a greater degree if a filter is used), why not? A bit of water, salt or fresh isn't going to hurt anything. Wipe it down as you go. If conditions are really severe use a bottle of clean water and a micro-fibre cloth, but really... it's not going to hurt anything. The camera is a tool and it's meant to be used. You don't hear about roofers putting felt covers on their hammers so they don't scratch them....

.t I would not want that on my actual lens.
Other than the obvious reason of it affecting the images (which it is only likely to do to a greater degree if a filter is used), why not? A bit of water, salt or fresh isn't going to hurt anything. Wipe it down as you go. If conditions are really severe use a bottle of clean water and a micro-fibre cloth, but really... it's not going to hurt anything. The camera is a tool and it's meant to be used. You don't hear about roofers putting felt covers on their hammers so they don't scratch them....

Maybe I am underestimating the coatings on the lens but I also think you're underestimating how corrosive salt water is. I would prefer nothing touch my element if possible, especially for routine shoot. If it were some huge magazine cover, different story. No reason to risk it.

I've shot at the Oregon coast off and on since the 1980's. The single biggest problem there is airborne sea spray and heavy fog...airborne micro droplets. Being an eyeglass wearer, I have the advantage of being able to gauge, approximately, how badly my lens front might be from spray accumulation: when my eyeglasses are messed up, I know a lens in active use and aimed toward the water direction might be getting similarly messed up, but to a lesser degree since I have a lens hood on at ALL times, so every 2 to 3 eyeglass cleanings, the lens usually needs swabbing. On some days, there is a LOT of low, beach-level spray. On some days, it is higher, above the ocean, and some days it is airborne, 100 or so feet up, at at the bluff level, where highway 101 runs from California to Astoria. Some days spray is a huge issue! it depends a lot on the waves and surf conditions, and the wind direction.

My solution is simple: use a lens hood whenever possible. Keep the lenshood pointed DOWN, at your feet, when not shooting. CLEAN the front of the lens when it gets "enough" seaspray on it to make it worthwhile to clean it. On some days, that might be every 10 minutes, but on days like that, it is very unpleasant to be there. Where I live, blowing sand might, and I mean might, rise six inches to a foot off the ground during gale-force winds or better; things here are just too danged wet for sand to ever blow to where it can reach more than knee-high, so wind-blown sand is a non-issue here.

Lens hood. Lenshood pointed down. Change lenses FAST, and turned away from the wind direction. To wipe the sea spray off, I use white napkins, use them once, then discard. I carry a ziplock bag of them with me, and spares in the car. For "real" cleaning, I have a microfiber cloth, but microfibers are not that good with liquids--tissue/napkin works better, but you need to use a light touch. If you want to plop a UV filter on, you can, sure. Before wiping a lens front or filter make danged sure there is not sand or grit that the wiping cloth or tissue might pick up! Huff some breath on there, and use a light touch, and wipe the seaspray off, toward the edges of the lens. Then go around the edges. Then, put the lens hood back on.

My experience is that sand gets to camera gear MOSTLY not through the air, but almost always through 1) camera bags or backpacks 2)pockets 3)your own clothing, hands, and arms, after having touched sand, hence the big paintbrush. A camera bag that is placed down on the sand is where the sand gets in: lenses and stuff that go IN TO that bag pick up sand while inside the bag.

My BEST TOOL though, at the beach, for sand/grit is a couple of good paintbrushes, one small one, and one 1.5 inch wide actual painting brush, for brushing off sand. For working with people, I carry a bigger paintbrush, a 3" wide-nylon bristle one, which is really good for wiping sand off of people.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back